A phase metered 130v..B phase metered 122v..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elctrfy

Occupation
Electrician
Residential 120-240 v ge panel..lights are dimming almost flashing..i thought old breakers..but after i put meter on it & A is almost 130v im not sure now..its on bus & breakers & line side main..amps A is about 14 & B is about 5 amps..i know it could ,, should be balanced slightly..
Any one has suggestions on if its a utility or my issue ¿¿

gar

Occupation
EE
230131-0557 EST

Electrify and Saturn:

Look at the stated data. Assume that total voltage should be some what near 240 V, and normally not close to 260 V ( 260 would a very unusual total voltage ).

The measured voltage from neutral to one hot line is 130 V ( line A ), and this line is loaded to about 14 A. The other line ( line B ) is loaded to 5 A. If the connection to neutral was a high resistance, then the voltage across line B to neutral should be higher than A to neutral. Thus, greater than 130 V, and this seems very unlikely. You should have measured the total voltage from A to B as well as what you measured.

With the data you have stated it does not look like a high resistance neutral.

Further you state lights dimming, and that does not correlate with high voltage. There is something wrong in your measurements, or a very wrong system.

At your main panel connect two 120 V 15 W bulbs. One on each side of neutral. Report what you see, and also redo your voltage measurements. Something is screwy in what you reported so far.

Also figure out a clearer way to describe your results.

gar

Occupation
EE
230131-1154 EST

Electrify:

Do not put information in your question, and then not repeat that information in the text of your question.

Now looking at your title I have a feeling you mis-identified which wire had which load.

Elctrfy

Occupation
Electrician
What is the L-L voltage? Yours should be about 252. (130+122)
What are the Voltages while flashing?
Use a hair dryer for a load. What are the Voltages now?
Neutral issue is very possible.
Amazing its about 240v..give or take a volt or two..that is whats stumping me..A-B is good..B-neutral is good..A-neutral is the high..
Thank you for responding..i thought ,, hoped ,, different opinion may think of something I'm missing..

Elctrfy

Occupation
Electrician
230131-0557 EST

Electrify and Saturn:

Look at the stated data. Assume that total voltage should be some what near 240 V, and normally not close to 260 V ( 260 would a very unusual total voltage ).

The measured voltage from neutral to one hot line is 130 V ( line A ), and this line is loaded to about 14 A. The other line ( line B ) is loaded to 5 A. If the connection to neutral was a high resistance, then the voltage across line B to neutral should be higher than A to neutral. Thus, greater than 130 V, and this seems very unlikely. You should have measured the total voltage from A to B as well as what you measured.

With the data you have stated it does not look like a high resistance neutral.

Further you state lights dimming, and that does not correlate with high voltage. There is something wrong in your measurements, or a very wrong system.

At your main panel connect two 120 V 15 W bulbs. One on each side of neutral. Report what you see, and also redo your voltage measurements. Something is screwy in what you reported so far.

Also figure out a clearer way to describe your results.

I will try the 2 lamp on each leg remeasure it..and think of an easier way to word my answer..
Thank you for replying back..

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I will try the 2 lamp on each leg remeasure it..and think of an easier way to word my answer..
Thank you for replying back..
Gar wants one lamp on each leg. They should be similar in brightness. Now add and remove a load to one leg . Bad neutral will cause one to brighten and one to dim. The lamps are a visual representation of the voltage variation. The hand held hair dryer works well for an easy heavy load.

Your line to line, and line to neutral voltages don't add up. Are you taking them at the same location?

Elctrfy

Occupation
Electrician
Ptonsparky,,gar,,
Hey it was neutral burnt up on line side in meter can..had b.p.u. unlock it today..& pushed some drip loop down riser..restriped & tightened the load lugs as well..
Just wanted to thank you for your input..much appreciated..

Status
Not open for further replies.