Abb Acs607 Ppcc link fault

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Century

Occupation
Electrician
Hi guys. Working with an abb acs607
Running in manual (local) from the hmi I’m able to start and run the drive up without a hitch
When trying to run remotely from citec it trips straight away on ppcc link fault

Drive history - found the drive during our 52wk inspections with blown fuses and blown firing cards on 2 phases. Rebuilt drive with what spares we had left and replaced the fibres as per the manual for the ppcc link fault

any help would be appreciated

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I did some googling on this fault code. You might want to do the same.

If that does not help Abb tends to have pretty good tech support you can call.

Century

Occupation
Electrician
Hi Peter, yes I have done the googling and replaced all components and then some,
As per the above the drive is now fully functional locally but now just throws the random fibre fault when starting remotely.
no changes have been made to wiring or dcs setup etc.

garbo

I did some googling on this fault code. You might want to do the same.

If that does not help Abb tends to have pretty good tech support you can call.
Glad you had good results with ABB. I called a few times and always got the run around. We had several hundred ABB drives in a new building and no manuels. Took me 2 weeks at least 3 emails for them to finally tell me how to read DC Buss volts via the display screen. A least 3 ABB people asked me why would I need that. Another time on a ABB 18 pulse 200 HP drive asked them why door mounted cooling fans run constantly in a 65 degree room for chiller pumps that are off at least 4 months every winter.Ask me again why I wanted to know why. Told them superior Danfoss drives only use fans when thermostat senses warm enclosure Just love when incompetent people insist on answering your question with a question. By the way found Danfoss & Allen Bradley tech support ten times better then big boy ABB. They think just because they sell the most VFD'S in the USA they do not have to have a deicated tech support. Years ago before Reliance got sold their tech support was extremely vague on supplying answers then wanted to send out a tech.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's my experience that on any given day, you can get good or bad tech support from anyone. I try not to take it as an absolute when I have had a bad day, because chances are that I will have a great experience some other day.

That fault is in the communications of the internal fiber optic links between boards. In my experience it happens from two things; the fiber optic terminators are loose or have some sort of contamination on them, or if it happens when you first turn on the drive, there is a power supply board that is not getting to full output when it needs to, so one end of the fiber optic cable link is not transmitting or receiving yet, so the other end throws the fault. If you replaced the cards AND the fiber cables, it's likely the power supply issue. If you replaced SOME cards but not others and all of the fiber cables, the fiber ports on one of the cards not replaced may be dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.