Above Ground Pool Water Bond Devices

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Above Ground Pool Water Bond Devices

• Your local electrical supply house started supplying them.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • You go to the pool supply company to get them

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • They are always provided by the pool installer

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • You required the owner to find and provide them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenje

Try this the picture at bottom right - NEW! WaterBond product to comply with 680.26(C)

http://cmiwebsite.com/html/pool___spa_-electrical.html

After looking at the link, I did a quick calculation on the length of # 8 that would be required to meet the 9 square inches in 680.26(C). For all you engineers out there, please check my calculations. I haven't used my slide rule in a few years. :)

Diameter of # 8 = .049 / 2 =.0245 =Radius of #8

9 sq in = 2 x 3.14 x .245 x H (or length of wire)

9 sq in = .153 in x H

9 sq in/.153 in = H = 58.8 in

From the image in the link, I wonder if the length of the wire is almost 5' long.

stevenje

steve, is that a .0245 or a .245 ?
Frank,
I made the mistake of using the Stranding diameter .049 instead of the Overall Diameter .146. Boy does that change things!

Diameter of # 8 = .146 / 2 =.073 =Radius of #8

9 sq in = 2 x 3.14 x .073 x H (or length of wire)

9 sq in = .458 in x H

9 sq in/.458 in = H = 19.6 in

From the image in the link, I now see that 20 inches is about right. When will I ever learn not to question the engineers! :)

inspector32513

Pool WATER Bonding

Pool WATER Bonding

We have that issue with an inground pool. The pool is constructed with a vinyl liner, plastic steps, plastic coping, fighre "4" handrail, and no light.

A bit of research indicates the need to bond the water is to allow the GFCI connected to a device (a radio, for example) that falls into the water to have a path to ground to trip. Even with conductive pool water, the current would flow from hot to neutral, and no path to ground until the person holding the hand rail stepped into the pool.

This might also help to eliminate some possible 'stray capacitive voltage' on the conductive water, separated from the conductive earth by an insulating vinyl liner. I have seen voltages reduced or eliminated by dropping a piece of bare #12 connected to the grid into the water.

Lynn Adams
Chief Electrical Inspector
Escambia County Florida

Dougie G

Is the water bond to be a minimum of 9 square inches or 9 inches square?
Nine square inches using a piece of metal in the skimmer would only be 3x3 inches, whereas nine inches square would be a total of 81 square inches.

dbuckley

Is the water bond to be a minimum of 9 square inches or 9 inches square?
The metric size quoted is about 5806 sq mm, which is about 9 square inches, ie 3x3 inches.

Trying the same multiply it out function with the metric unit, 5.8 meters squared is a bit over 33 sq metres, which is significantly bigger than 81 sq inches :)

So it's gotta be square inches, not inches squared.

Status
Not open for further replies.