above ground tank grounding and bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have cell tower site outdoor installation where 50kw 240/120V generator is outdoor and it’s run by natural gas/propane dual fuel.

Their is also going to be installation for outdoor above ground LPG gas metallic tank 1000 gallon. The tank is going to sit on concrete pad next to the generator with LP gas line going to the generator for fuel.

Questions:
1. Is the tank require grounding and bonding?

2. what section of NEC 2014 would cover grounding and bonding of the above mentioned above ground tank?

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Your questions remind me of test questions we get and will not answer. Try this next time..."I have this tank and reviewed art 250 for grounding requirements but didnt find any. Where else should I look? "
And how about looking at other NFPA documents at NFPA, they have a scope of what is covered.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I searched in NEC 2014 section 250 I thought 250.4(4) might apply but I am not sure. Other than that I looked and looked post #1 concern in the NEC 2014, NFPA 58. The concern comes up on plans but their is no spec.

Finally I posted on here. Should I be looking at other codes or any NEC section I missed in my search or in NFPA 58? Please any help would be appreciated. I am stuck on this problem.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I searched in NEC 2014 section 250 I thought 250.4(4) might apply but I am not sure. Other than that I looked and looked post #1 concern in the NEC 2014, NFPA 58. The concern comes up on plans but their is no spec.

Finally I posted on here. Should I be looking at other codes or any NEC section I missed in my search or in NFPA 58? Please any help would be appreciated. I am stuck on this problem.

Have you considered contacting the design engineer? The plans should have the designers seal on it.

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
IT IS IN THE NFPA FUEL GAS CODE MANUAL, NOT THE NEC.

I researched in NFPA 54 I guess that what you are referring but in my case it’s at cell tower for generator. I saw metallic gas pipe be bonded to ground not to use as grounding electrode.

Where does it say in LPG gas tank grounding and bonding NFPA Fuel Gas Code?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Where does it say in LPG gas tank grounding and bonding NFPA Fuel Gas Code?
It may or may not say it, you will probably have to search NFPA 54 yourself, you just need to find time or find an NFPA 54 forum.

Roger

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Ok NFPA 780 year 2017 also says something about grounding metal tank Section 7.3.7.2 not sure if it applies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.