AC not allowed w/generator control wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEC

The AC voltage for coolant heater is not allowed in the same conduit with generator control wiring (according to generator supplier). Supplier says EC can intstall AV wiring in same conduit as the feed from generator. As long as there is room, does anyone see any code problem?

iwire

Staff member
EEC said:
The AC voltage for coolant heater is not allowed in the same conduit with generator control wiring (according to generator supplier). Supplier says EC can intstall AV wiring in same conduit as the feed from generator. As long as there is room, does anyone see any code problem?

I have done it both ways.

But if I had the manufacture telling me separate it would be separate.

Many times we go with a raceway for the feeder, a raceway for block / battery heaters and another raceway for the controls.

It's a CYA world.

Another possible issue is lately annunciators if used are connected to the gen set with a LAN via a 2 wire twisted shielded cable.

You can not run the LAN wiring in a conduit with power conductors.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Wouldn't mixing the heater circuit and battery charger circuit with the controls and alarms circuit violate mixing class1 and class2 wiring? I've always been a little fuzzy on that.
I know that when we do a genset install we separate the controls and alarms
from the Genset output. Normally we also keep the heater and battery charger circuit in its own raceway. But, on occasion we have pulled those circuits in with the generator output.
We practice CYA!

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Bump, moonlighting has been informative but it has been beat to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.