AC or DC Hi Pot Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I am doing conformance testing for IEC-61010. It is my understanding that Hi-Pot tests can be performed by either AC or DC voltage. Here is the wording of 61010:

"Solid insulation of MAINS CIRCUITS shall withstand the electric and mechanical stresses that may occur in NORMAL USE in al RATED environmental conditions during the intended life of the equipment.

Conformity is checked by inspection, and by the a.c test of 6.8.3.1 with a duration of 1 min, or for MAINS CIRCUITS stressed only by d.c, the 1 min d.c test of 6.8.3.2 using applicable voltages from table 5...."

My question is about "or for MAINS CIRCUITS stressed only by d.c" Would this mean only DC circuits, or does it mean that if you are doing the DC hi-pot test, then the MAINS circuit is stressed only by d.c...

What does "MAINS CIRCUITS stressed only by d.c" mean?

For the AC test, I need a meter capable of 500VA. Most meters I can find have AC ratings of 200VA. The 500VA meters are 5 times more expensive. This is why I would prefer to do the DC test.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Combined with the sentence about stresses of normal usage, I think the rest of the wording clearly allows the use of DC tests only for DC services.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Nycedreemz

AC or DC Hi-pot test

AC or DC Hi-pot test

I always test at 2X line plus 1000v for 60sec. I have been told by UL follow up procedure inspector that if you add an additional 20% to the original testing value that u can cut test time down to 1 sec if your machine can reach peak voltage in less than that 1 sec.

I do believe that the way its worded that, a DC test would be all that need apply in your situation.

fifty60

I am leaning towards Goldiggers interpretation. The manual clearly says the 500VA requirement for the AC voltage testing. There is not any kind of requirement like that for the DC testing, but from the wording it seems like the DC testing would only be for DC supplies?

It just does not seem right that 61010 (IEC or UL) would prohibit the use of DC hi-pot test....the wording is a little hard to decipher...

the 500VA tester is $10000 whereas the 200VA tester is $2000. Pretty big difference.

Nycedreemz

AC or DC hi-pot tests

AC or DC hi-pot tests

I agree with golddiggers interpretation as well. In my opinion I believe that whatever the intended current for the device under test (AC? or DC?) should be the test performed. If the device is to be used under DC load then test for DC withstand, the same for AC. Thats just my two cents.:D

The hi-pot tester that i use is a Vitrek V63 AC/DC/IR safety analyzer
5.0kVAC max.
6.0kVDC max.

Purchased used and re-calibrated by the manufacturer was about $3500
The quiktest software to run remotely from a PC was a few hundred more, all in all totally worth it.

fifty60

I believe the V63 is not the V7 series. So if I can get the V74 (which is a V63 with a 30A ground bond tester) for $3000 brand new, that would be a pretty good deal it looks like.

Nycedreemz

AC or DC Hi Pot Test

Yeah, the V63 that i have is somewhat of a dinosaur in the hi-pot tester world. I use it strictly for extension cords and adapters only. No need for ground bond test as there is no ground bond made in anything I manufacture. If you could find that unit for that price i would jump on it. Im not to sure if you will find it brand new at that price but who knows. Mine was second hand off ebay. Sent the unit to the manufacturer for my own piece of mind and it has been a jewel and the hardest and most consistent employee here! Never asks for time off or overtime pay!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.