AC pull out disconnect for detached garage feeder...

Status
Not open for further replies.

norcal

Service equipment would require bonding the grounded & grounding conductors, since that is no longer permitted beyond the real service equipment, there would be no need on a feeder.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Service equipment would require bonding the grounded & grounding conductors, since that is no longer permitted beyond the real service equipment, there would be no need on a feeder.
But earlier Code versions permitted a bond between EGC, neutral and a local GES at the remote building provided that there were no other conductive pathways between the two buildings's GESs.

kwired

Electron manager
Probably not strictly Code, but I have used two pullout disconnects with only one pullout between them as a manual transfer switch for a well pump. :)
Easier yet is a double pole double throw relay. connect normal power to normally closed contact and the generator to both the normally open and the coil. anytime you plug in to energized standby source it automatically transfers.

Done that a few times on livestock buildings where all they cared about is getting water during power outages They figured on manually opening curtains, doors, etc. as needed for ventilation. No idea what they intended to do for feed in a place where feed was normally run through electric auger type systems though.

kwired

Electron manager
But earlier Code versions permitted a bond between EGC, neutral and a local GES at the remote building provided that there were no other conductive pathways between the two buildings's GESs.
And current codes still permit those already in place to remain that way. You can replace the disconnect, main panel, etc, but if you replace the feeder itself you need to update it to have separate EGC.

Might be pushing the limit some code wise but I myself would have no problem with say extending that existing three wire feeder a little because they remodeled or replaced the second building and it needs to hit a different location than original.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Might be pushing the limit some code wise but I myself would have no problem with say extending that existing three wire feeder a little because they remodeled or replaced the second building and it needs to hit a different location than original.
Just curious: Are you likewise okay with extending/relocating existing 3-wire major-appliance circuits?

I'm thinking about the thread a week or two ago about adding to a range or dryer circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
Just curious: Are you likewise okay with extending/relocating existing 3-wire major-appliance circuits?

I'm thinking about the thread a week or two ago about adding to a range or dryer circuit.
I will admit to doing that, especially when running new all the way back introduces extra difficulty levels.

I will also say I have upgraded some to 4 wire that maybe didn't require it.

The GFCI requirements that are new, especially in 2020 NEC will basically mean you must use 4 wire circuit whenever GFCI is needed - which should be always on cord and plug connected dryer circuits where the ranges will depend on conditions of the installation.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why not just get a "Spa Panel" with a single 2 pole GFCI breaker in it? They have separate GEC and Neutral terminals. If it's a garage, it needs to be GFCI protected anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.