AC PV wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I suppose you could. I'm not sure what the point would be.

You would have to run the conductors together in a raceway and account for the non-standard diameter if calculating conduit fill.

jjavier

AC 6awg cable tray

AC 6awg cable tray

I suppose you could. I'm not sure what the point would be.

You would have to run the conductors together in a raceway and account for the non-standard diameter if calculating conduit fill.

Really the issue is 1/0 size in cable tray minimum, NEC allow you PV wire in cable tray less than 1/0. But I am not sure if inverters output are included

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Really the issue is 1/0 size in cable tray minimum, NEC allow you PV wire in cable tray less than 1/0. But I am not sure if inverters output are included

They are not. That section specifically refers to pv source or output circuit and an inverter output circuit is not one of those.

Carultch

You can use multiconductor type TC cable for this application, if you do desire to use a cable tray. And not have to use 1/0 and larger.

I don't understand why there needs to be an exclusion of AC, when using PV wire of all sizes in a cable tray. Or why we have the 1/0 and larger rule in the first place. As in, what physical hazard happens because of it?

jjavier

Tc cable

Tc cable

You can use multiconductor type TC cable for this application, if you do desire to use a cable tray. And not have to use 1/0 and larger.

I don't understand why there needs to be an exclusion of AC, when using PV wire of all sizes in a cable tray. Or why we have the 1/0 and larger rule in the first place. As in, what physical hazard happens because of it?

That is the issue.

We have to use 6AWG copper in solaredge ac, and on the roof, it´s very hard to comply with the amps (50.1Amps in 6awg).

The roof will have restricted access. Can we use cable tray (TC )(5 conductors) on the solar roof? Must be covered if it is UV resistant?

Carultch

That is the issue.

We have to use 6AWG copper in solaredge ac, and on the roof, it´s very hard to comply with the amps (50.1Amps in 6awg).

The roof will have restricted access. Can we use cable tray (TC )(5 conductors) on the solar roof? Must be covered if it is UV resistant?

FYI, the neutral doesn't count as a CCC in this application. With a typical temperature derate from 75A at 90C, 3.5" above the roof, the #6 Cu should have enough ampacity if you have a dedicated conduit for each inverter.

In any case, the UV resistance and the restricted access, should be enough not to need a cable tray cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.