AC tripping

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Get a HVAC contractor to check it out ... If the refrigerant charge is low, it will cause the compressor to heat up and trip the internal overloads.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a customer who thinks they have an electrical issue. The AC is tripping, they also have a single pole 15 amp AFCI the nuisance trips. I went over there put a hair dryer and at a different time a vacuum load on the 15 amp breaker and took voltage measurements everything was reading 123.5-124 volts A to neutral and B to Neutral. Line to line was 246-247. I couldn’t get it to trip. I made sure connections were tight. So far it hasn’t tripped again. House built in 2014 I told them the older afci breakers nuisance trip and if it does it again I’ll swap it out for a newer one. Hasn’t tripped in 2 weeks.

The house is 4300 square feet and has 1-5tonn unit that keeps tripping the breaker. It’s on a 2-pole 50, which name plate says is max. Minimum circuit amps is 32.5 amps. Wire is 6awg AL. I checked connections and everything was tight. I told them the unit is too small for the house. It tripped again today 90+ degrees outside.

Is there anything else I can/should check out before I send them to the HVAC guy?

Maybe this is my reading comprehension problem, IDK but what does the 15 amp afci have to do with the a/c unit? Is the dp 50 tripping or the afci? I am missing something here.