Access to junction box behind a surface mounted fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkmobx

Occupation
Licensed electrician
I would ask is there a specific code reference to a situation like this.
Electrical jb in a hard non accessible ceiling, and mounting fixture over top of jb to connect this one light. I normally cut a larger hole in back of fixture to be able to access wiring in box, so no removal of light is necessary. Where is code reference to be àble to show my coworkers.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I would ask is there a specific code reference to a situation like this.
Electrical jb in a hard non accessible ceiling, and mounting fixture over top of jb to connect this one light. I normally cut a larger hole in back of fixture to be able to access wiring in box, so no removal of light is necessary. Where is code reference to be àble to show my coworkers.
The bold part doesn't sound legit. Do you have a picture what you're trying to do? How are you mounting the fixture "over top" of the jb? What kind of light fixture are you installing?

Buck Parrish

NEC 2020 - 410.118

What you have described is in another part of an earlier code cycle. Some lighting manufacturers made a large knock out in the back of the light for access.

dkmobx

Occupation
Licensed electrician
The bold part doesn't sound legit. Do you have a picture what you're trying to do? How are you mounting the fixture "over top" of the jb? What kind of light fixture are you installing?
Mounting fixture up against a junction box ( on plaster ceiling) where power connects ro this new LED fixture

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
410.24(B):

(B) Access to Boxes. Electric-discharge and LED luminaires surface mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes and designed not to be supported solely by the outlet box shall be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire to provide access to the wiring in the box.

Cheers, Wayne

Rock86

Occupation
410.24(B):

(B) Access to Boxes. Electric-discharge and LED luminaires surface mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes and designed not to be supported solely by the outlet box shall be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire to provide access to the wiring in the box.

Cheers, Wayne
Does that allow for field modification to the fixture?

Buck Parrish

410.24(B):

Cheers, Wayne
What code cycle is that?

Buck Parrish

It's in the 2020, as well as the earliest one I own, 2008, although that year doesn't mentioned LEDs. I didn't check what year LEDs first showed up.

Cheers, Wayne
okay, I was thinking it came into play before the quick dis connects in side of florescent lights.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Bad enough with a small light fixture. Worse the bigger and heavier it gets. I would hole saw it the size of the box and use screws & anchorls in the ceiling if need be.

Rock86

Occupation
Why wouldn't it? Can you punch a hole in a fixture?
I'm just asking. The way I read "shall be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire to provide access to the wiring in the box." was that the luminaire should be fitted with some kind of opening, unless it can be field modified. I could knocking out a hole for a connector, but for potentially a 4x4 box? Unless I'm looking at it all wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.