Access to Working Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That definition suggests an entrance requires a door or gate.
That suggestion would not apply to the context of 110.26(C)(1). Consider a panel installed outdoors on the side of a building. The working space will be 30" x 36". But the entrance to the working space is virtually infinite, and you don't have to pass through a door to get there.

I am at a bit of a quandary here, or would be if I were the AHJ and this was presented to me after installation. I would not fail the installation on the basis of 240.24. I think this meets the definition of readily accessible. I might consider failing it on the basis of 110.26(C)(1). I'm just glad I am not the AHJ on this one.

luckylerado

NEC requires Egress from the working space regardless of max current. Egress from a building code / life safety code standpoint is by definition continuous and unobstructed.

NFPA 101 Definitions

3.3.172* MeansofEgress. A continuous and unobstructed way
of travel from any point in a building or structure to a public way
consisting of three separate and distinct parts: (1) the exit access,
(2) the exit, and (3) the exit discharge. (SAF-MEA)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
That suggestion would not apply to the context of 110.26(C)(1). Consider a panel installed outdoors on the side of a building. The working space will be 30" x 36". But the entrance to the working space is virtually infinite, and you don't have to pass through a door to get there.

I am at a bit of a quandary here, or would be if I were the AHJ and this was presented to me after installation. I would not fail the installation on the basis of 240.24. I think this meets the definition of readily accessible. I might consider failing it on the basis of 110.26(C)(1). I'm just glad I am not the AHJ on this one.

I think the fact that none of us is sure if this is a code violation suggests it probably is not, or at least should not be considered to be one short of something else being in the mix not yet considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.