Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

memyselfandI

I work in an industrial facility that has a warehouse that is used to store finished product. They have a cypher lock on the warehouse door but not on the mechanical room door. I asked for the combo to the lock and they said I don't need it because I am not authorized to have access to the warehouse. However, I need to have access to the equipment room where the over current protection devices are located, I am also the only certified electrician on site for the company and I believe that I should have ready access to the room without waiting for someone to open the door for me. Is there any reference in the code that states that the main service equipment room needs to be accessed by qualified personnel, or can they restrict me from entering that room even though I am the only one that is qualified to do so.

spoon

If it is locked, and you have a certificate, that means you are qualified personnel. Let me rummage through the pages real quick. :mad:

spoon

Hmm, can't find anything as of yet. But I bet if you bother them once, wait for a few minutes until they get back to whatever it was they were doing, and bother them again, they'll get the idea. :D

EDIT: So we have established that the overcurrent devices of the electrical system on which you are working are NOT ACCESSIBLE. Let's try to find something in the NEC that requires the opposite.

Last edited:

spoon

You got the '05 book in front of you? Well here in Overcurrent Protection 240.30 (B) it states "The operating handle of a circuit breaker shall be permitted to be accessible without opening a door or cover"

ACCESSIBLE (as applied to equipment): Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means

Now, the NEC applies to, among other things, your "jobsite". Since that warehouse is your "jobsite"... I'd say if you're clever enough you can make this argument win for you.

480sparky

You got the '05 book in front of you? Well here in Overcurrent Protection 240.30 (B) it states "The operating handle of a circuit breaker shall be permitted to be accessible without opening a door or cover"

ACCESSIBLE (as applied to equipment): Admitting close approach; not guarded by locked doors, elevation, or other effective means

Now, the NEC applies to, among other things, your "jobsite". Since that warehouse is your "jobsite"... I'd say if you're clever enough you can make this argument win for you.

So every panel must be accessible to the public?:confused:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
sounds like a good way to win a battle and loose a war.

I'd go with spoon's idea. Call them every ten min.to let you in as you are "troubleshooting":)

basic bottom line, if they distrusted me that much, I'd not want to be their employee.

spoon

So every panel must be accessible to the public?:confused:

Clearly we are not talking about "public" access, we are talking about a licensed electrician gaining access to overcurrent protection devices which happen to be in locations listed as "accessible to qualified persons", which he obviously needs in order to fulfill his job obligations. Thanks for playing.

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
It may not be about you at all. It may require a security clearance of another level. Who do you answer to from the military, Officer in Charge of Construction? Whoever it is, see if they can qualify it for you.

An inconvienence is one thing, a security issue is totally separate. Those security clearances can be costly for a need to know.

spoon

It may not be about you at all. It may require a security clearance of another level. Who do you answer to from the military, Officer in Charge of Construction? Whoever it is, see if they can qualify it for you.

An inconvienence is one thing, a security issue is totally separate. Those security clearances can be costly for a need to know.

Completely agree. If the company cannot risk shutdown of sensitive systems, it's understandable why they would not let you in. I say continue to bother 'em every now and again, and bring your milk bucket with you to sit on. :D

480sparky

Clearly we are not talking about "public" access, we are talking about a licensed electrician gaining access to overcurrent protection devices which happen to be in locations listed as "accessible to qualified persons", which he obviously needs in order to fulfill his job obligations. Thanks for playing.

So locks know the difference between the maintainance man and a 6-year old kid?

ceb58

I do not agree. In the prisons I work in the electrical and mech. rooms are locked along with fire doors and other means of egress. The dept. of insurance and osha have ruled that there are people there 24/7 that have access to the keys for gaining entry. They may have security concerns that only allow certain level employees to have access. But as long as there is some one that can open the door to give you access to the electrical they may have met the requirements.

alfiesauce

I worked in a diamond processing facility expansion for a month or two. Your tools got searched before you went in. You were under survalence by atleast one person, usually two, plus a buzzillion cameras all the time. You havd to explain what you were doing and why you were doing it at all times. Your tools and your person had to get searched to get out.
You did not want to forget something in the truck at the beginning of the day... Believe you me.

cadpoint

Now, if the person in question is a working at a secure facility, does this over-ride their desired access, in this case, I'm with management!

spoon

I do not agree. In the prisons I work in the electrical and mech. rooms are locked along with fire doors and other means of egress. The dept. of insurance and osha have ruled that there are people there 24/7 that have access to the keys for gaining entry. They may have security concerns that only allow certain level employees to have access. But as long as there is some one that can open the door to give you access to the electrical they may have met the requirements.

I understand that perfectly, and that is okay. Give the guy a key, or don't. They choose not to, and they get bothered all the time. No big deal.

spoon

So locks know the difference between the maintainance man and a 6-year old kid?

Did he say his jobsite was an elementary school? Sorry, I must have missed it. :rolleyes: You are rebounding with what you apparently consider to be "witty" comebacks, which do nothing to help the OP's issue. Thanks for playing.

wbalsam1

I work in an industrial facility that has a warehouse that is used to store finished product. They have a cypher lock on the warehouse door but not on the mechanical room door. I asked for the combo to the lock and they said I don't need it because I am not authorized to have access to the warehouse.
The company may want to restrict access to their finished product and since the electrical room is not accessible without entering the spaces where the finished product is stored, they are left with no choice other than to accompany anyone needing access to the warehouse.:)

However, I need to have access to the equipment room where the over current protection devices are located, I am also the only certified electrician on site for the company and I believe that I should have ready access to the room without waiting for someone to open the door for me.
Here, your employer disagrees with you. They retain the right to control access to their property regardless of your opinion of your job importance.

Is there any reference in the code that states that the main service equipment room needs to be accessed by qualified personnel,
No.
......or can they restrict me from entering that room even though I am the only one that is qualified to do so.
Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.