According to NESC can I used covered conductor for grounding on steel poles?

caballerito

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
According to NESC can I used covered conductor for grounding on steel poles?, I'm checking NESC 2023 but cannot find specific information about this question. Thanks

caballerito

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I wanna make clear that I am talking about the conductor used between the equipment, the pole and the ground rod.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't answer your question but your profile states your are in California. If so CA does not use the NESC. It has its own "codes" GO95 and GO128.

caballerito

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I can't answer your question but your profile states your are in California. If so CA does not use the NESC. It has its own "codes" GO95 and GO128.
I work for a company that operates on 6 states including California, this question is specific to NESC and not related to GO95

I admit I am not familiar with the NESC, but why do you think there would be a restriction? Are you thinking grounding conductors would need to be fully insulated? Just about every pole ground I see is covered, and I highly doubt insulated.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
According to NESC can I used covered conductor for grounding on steel poles?, I'm checking NESC 2023 but cannot find specific information about this question. Thanks
Yes. We do it every day.
Started to do it to try to hide copper because of theft about 10 years ago.
Now copper clad steel is becoming the norm on wood distribution poles.
Covered conductors for grounding also can be a benefit for wildlife protection.

yesterlectric

Occupation
Electrician
Are you wanting to use covered conductor “tree wire” in an application where you’re required to use insulated grounding conductors? I’m not sure the NESC would give you guidance on that. I’ve taken some classes on the NESC and have a little bit of experience with it. It’s a standard that’s primarily written for the utility company standards engineer who writes policies for how the line workers do their work. It is a lot less prescriptive of a standard than the NEC.

It’s not common to require insulated grounding conductors for for example, on riser pole surge arresters. If you have something weird like a unigrounded wye distribution system, it may be stipulated by the utility that you do.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I was at a GO95 rule making committee meeting and this was a hot topic. With the rise in use of steel poles, it has brought up some nuanced issues with the way California's grid was initially designed.