Actic Access panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnyrpb

we have typically installed a keyless open-lamp fixture for scuttle hole access panels to the attic. It has come to my attention that this is no longer acceptable by the N E C. The fixture should now be enclsed for protection with a cover. If this is true, can anyone state the code article?

thanks

Vinny in Florida

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Actic Access panel

This is not an NEC issue that I am aware of. Ask your AHJ for a specific code section. The NEC typically does not specify what type lighting fixture, some locations it does, such as a closet.

kelley

Occupation
Estimator

Just passed a final today with 2 keyless in attic. The inspector climbed right up in the attic and looked around never mentioned abything regarding enclosed fixture.

Kelley

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Vinny what part of Florida are you in ? We installed over 2,000 keyless fixtures in scuttle holes last year and will probably install more than that this year the way things look.The only time I have seen an inspector issue a correction notice is when the keyless was installed to low in the attic space,citing that it will be under the insulation when its blown in.There was a thread about is a light required at all,since there is no equipment or storage space there.The inspectors here say that if you can fit a hatbox there it`s storage space.We do some models that have 2 or 3 scuttle holes so we have to put a light and switch(or pullchain fixture) at each one

Status
Not open for further replies.