adapter for 24amp rated bender

I have a piece of equipment that pulls a max load of of 24amps and it has a regular 120 volt plug #14 wire, it came from the manufacture like this. the machine will not work on a regular 20 amp circuit at full load. I have an adapter that take it from a 20 amp rated receptacle to a 30 amp twist lock to plug into 30 amp twist lock receptacle. Is this allowed? The machine I am operating is a rebar bender and it does not run continuous. about 10 20 15 second intervals.
1713440564220.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see a problem with the adapter but if it has a standard 20 amp plug from the manufacturer it should be able to operate on a 20 amp circuit. Are you using an extension cord? Sounds like you're experiencing a large voltage drop.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Is the panel feeding the circuit Square D? I’ve had issues with hydraulic pumps that would trip. If it is, change the breaker to a “HM” suffix. Also I found putting it on an extension cord works too. Seems to limit the inrush for some reason.

The issue is that in the manual the device has a power demand of 2800 to 3000 watts, on a code standard can I run this machine using the listed adapter if there is a possibility of exceeding the 20 amp adapter rating on one side of the adapter. ONE SIDE OF THE ADAPTER IS 20AMP RATED THE TWIST LOCK SIDE IS 30 AMP RATED AND THE MACHINES MANUFACTURED CORD IS A #14 cord.

kwired

Electron manager
Is the panel feeding the circuit Square D? I’ve had issues with hydraulic pumps that would trip. If it is, change the breaker to a “HM” suffix. Also I found putting it on an extension cord works too. Seems to limit the inrush for some reason.
That is a problem with handling starting current where you end up needing the HM breakers.

OP seemed to be saying this trips when operating at full load. A 20 amp breaker should hold for intermittent loading at 24 amps, this thing is either drawing rather continuously or something is wrong with it or the breaker?

Or other loads are also powered by same circuit when this is happening?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
At 2800 watts it's drawing about 23 amps. For intermittent use the 20 amp circuit should be sufficient. If it comes with a 20 amp plug is should work on a 20 amp circuit. What's the name and model number of this piece of equipment?

kwired

Electron manager
More conductor length will have a current limiting effect on the starting current because of resistance of the conductors in that extension cord.

You may find a 10 or 25 foot cord won't work but a 50 or 100 foot cord will. Larger conductor cord also isn't going to be as effective.