Add-on fire suppression system tie-in to FACP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtfallsmikey

One of my tenants plans to replace an existing pre-action system, which reports to the main base building FACP, with a clean agent suppression system in a data center, I asked questions regarding interfacing the new control panel with the existing base building FACP, which is not in the company's SOW, reply was "Is this required"?

I know it has to be, can anyone give me the appropriate section of NFPA that covers this? Thanks!

RICK NAPIER

One of these code sections should cover you.

2015 IBC 904.3.5 Where fire alarm system exists the automatic fire alarm system shall be monitored by the fire alarm system per NFPA 72
NFPA 72 2016 5.12* Detection of the Operation of Other Automatic Extinguishing Systems. The operation of fire extinguishing systems or suppression systems shall initiate an alarm signal by alarminitiating devices installed in accordance with their individual listings.
NFPA 17 2013 5.7.4 Connection to alarm system if provided is required for dry chemical systems
NFPA 17A 2013 5.2.1.9 Connection to alarm system if provided is required for wet chemical systems

mtfallsmikey

One of these code sections should cover you.

2015 IBC 904.3.5 Where fire alarm system exists the automatic fire alarm system shall be monitored by the fire alarm system per NFPA 72
NFPA 72 2016 5.12* Detection of the Operation of Other Automatic Extinguishing Systems. The operation of fire extinguishing systems or suppression systems shall initiate an alarm signal by alarminitiating devices installed in accordance with their individual listings.
NFPA 17 2013 5.7.4 Connection to alarm system if provided is required for dry chemical systems
NFPA 17A 2013 5.2.1.9 Connection to alarm system if provided is required for wet chemical systems

I understand that the AHJ could require the preaction system to remain in service, to serve as a backup for the clean agent system

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I understand that the AHJ could require the preaction system to remain in service, to serve as a backup for the clean agent system

That could be a local requirement. The preaction system is there to reduce the chance of an accidental discharge. With standard sprinklers, you bust a head and it's water everywhere. With a preaction system, the pipe is empty until the valve is tripped by the panel. The panel trips the valve on smoke detection. That way, you bust a head with no fire present, no water flow. The pipe is usually under air pressure to detect open sprinklers.

The customer wants to limit damage to his data center so clean agent is a good choice. As far as the AHJ is concerned, he doesn't want the building to burn down. If there is a fire condition and the clean agent system doesn't take care of it, what's plan "B"? The preaction system is a good plan "B".

RICK NAPIER

Yes, generally you need permission to remove the existing system to replace it with an alternative system. Personally I don't grant that, I allow them to raise the temperature setting for the existing system to a higher temperature than the chemical supressant system. This allows for fire suppression if the chemical system fails which can happen if the door is open.

Status
Not open for further replies.