Adding a ATS/service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckesey

New User
Occupation
Communications
I currently have 400 amp residental service thats uses a combo meter base. It has two 200 amp breakers acting as my service disconnect. One of those go inside to feed a 200 amp panel, the other is directly tied to the bus feeding a few breakers for outside use (HVAC, barn, etc). I'm trying to wrap my head around the best way putting a ATS in the mix and and getting a nod from the inspector.

Can leave the service entrances (2x200 amp breakers) in place in my combo panel but move the load side to the ATS and then coming back to my outside combo panel for distribution? In this situation Im not sure if its ok to 'feed' the ATS with two seperate breakers. In my situation with a combo meter base, is it best to purchase ATS with a service disconnect and leave the meter base going directly to my ATS (with service disconnect) and then return to my combo panel into the existing 200 amp breakers?

With either setup there seems to be lots of back and forth but I dont know that it can be avoided with the combo panel I have.

This is very simular to what I have in place today but the upper splice in the picture is a 200 amp breaker as well.....

Status
Not open for further replies.