Adding a fourth meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,
I have been an active viewer of this sight and love all the great views and help everyone provides.
I have a three unit apartment building with three meters. The whole building is being renovated, and I need to add a fourth meter for the common areas. I have tried to find the way to accomplish this cost effectively, and have not had any luck.
One option is to replace the entire service with a four gang meter...
If I left the existing three gang meter in place, I would need to add a fourth meter somewhere. There is no room immediately adjacent to the existing meter bank to add the fourth meter, so I would have to locate it about six feet away on the other side of a window.
I am having trouble figuring out how to tap off the service entrance conductors.
Presently I have parallel 4 ought Cu.
I was thinking to replace each double lug to a triple lug and use a single 4 ought Cu to feed the new 100 Amp meter.
I am having trouble finding out in the code if this is acceptable.
Any advice?

seth207

Check with your poco about installing a new riser next to existing one. Pretty common practice around here. Just make sure your disconnects are located together.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

GerryB

Hello all,
I have been an active viewer of this sight and love all the great views and help everyone provides.
I have a three unit apartment building with three meters. The whole building is being renovated, and I need to add a fourth meter for the common areas. I have tried to find the way to accomplish this cost effectively, and have not had any luck.
One option is to replace the entire service with a four gang meter...
If I left the existing three gang meter in place, I would need to add a fourth meter somewhere. There is no room immediately adjacent to the existing meter bank to add the fourth meter, so I would have to locate it about six feet away on the other side of a window.
I am having trouble figuring out how to tap off the service entrance conductors.
Presently I have parallel 4 ought Cu.
I was thinking to replace each double lug to a triple lug and use a single 4 ought Cu to feed the new 100 Amp meter.
I am having trouble finding out in the code if this is acceptable.
Any advice?
I have added the second riser in the past but I don't think UI (Poco for Fairfield) is allowing it any more. I was just allowed to add a house meter to a 3 gang meter bank that was located in a basement. There was about an 8x8 section on the meter bank where the conductors entered, it had a ko on the end, so I added the meter there. I used Kupl-taps, insulation piercing taps and #6 for the house meter. Sounds like you have a 400amp service? You need to call UI and they will send a field rep to tell you want you have to do. You can try to steer them a certain way if you have one. Also if you just add the house meter it has to have the bypass lever. The grounding has to be up to current code, I had to add rods, ground bridge, etc. Check out those Kupl taps, not my favorite thing but easy and acceptable.

Thank you so much...it is actually in Norwalk under an independent poco...third taxing district.
I have called them and waiting for a call back and meeting...I'll keep you posted

Status
Not open for further replies.