Adding a shop building requiring a service upgrade ** Advice Request **

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpdalton

I have a home that I replaced the service panel in about a year and a half ago. Cutler-Hammer 200A panel. My plan is to add a 32x40 shop building and was weighing my options between a) bringing in a separate service in from a pole about 60 feet away or b) upgrading my existing service to a 400A service. Option B is looking to be more cost effective.

Assuming option B, can I just have my electric utility upgrade the wire to the meter to a 400A and then I replace the wire from the meter to the service panel? (I had to replace this wire a year and a half ago when I upgraded the panel -used a 0000 wire) and replace the 200A main breaker with a 400A breaker or do I need to replace my panel with a 400A panel?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and guidance.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended to assist electricians, electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical profession with their job related duties. Since your profile states that you are not related to the electrical industry, we are not permitted to help you with your project.

Status
Not open for further replies.