Adding electric heat to existing dwelling

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
Might be time you get an epa licence and pay for the classes to do minisplits. They aren't terribly hard and they won't involve sheetmetal work if you don't like doing that and you can stay away from the main furnace and natural gas systems.

The diakin mentioned above have a good system. Maybe take those classes.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Find someone who can do a proper "HEAT LOAD ENGINEERING STUDY" to find out what the actual heat load of the structure is. You might consider going to double pain windows or increasing the insulation. Then make a decision on the new information. Go ductless with a Diakin.
It has new double pane.

PaulMmn

Banned
Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I don't believe the ductwork for an old oil burner would be used for a modern heat system, not if properly done.
Don't see why not-- unless you're talking about the cheesy practice of running heat/AC ducts through the attic!
Worst problem is running AC through the basement-- you tend to get condensation!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Don't see why not-- unless you're talking about the cheesy practice of running heat/AC ducts through the attic!
Worst problem is running AC through the basement-- you tend to get condensation!
Not sure where the ducts can run if it's not in the basement or attic.

Duct is sealed and sized. Both hot and return.

My ductwork runs through the basement. No condensation, but then it is a conditioned space.

kwired

Electron manager
Not sure where the ducts can run if it's not in the basement or attic.

Duct is sealed and sized. Both hot and return.

My ductwork runs through the basement. No condensation, but then it is a conditioned space.
Some guys insulate ducts and seal seams even when in a conditioned space. Does help get the heat or cooling all the way to where it is desired.