Adding Mechanical Lugs to Circuit Breaker Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi,
I've got a circuit breaker enclosure that I'd like to convert into a service disconnect. Presently, there are no Neutral or Ground lugs in the enclosure. Is it permissible by NEC to add a couple mechanical type lugs for ground, neutral and main bonding jumper. Is this approach commonly done?
Thanks,
EE

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Hi,
I've got a circuit breaker enclosure that I'd like to convert into a service disconnect. Presently, there are no Neutral or Ground lugs in the enclosure. Is it permissible by NEC to add a couple mechanical type lugs for ground, neutral and main bonding jumper. Is this approach commonly done?
Thanks,
EE
I believe the enclosure would have to be listed “suitable for use a service equipment”. Doubtful to pass any inspection.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Hi,
Thanks,
EE
In my opinion the equipment needs to be listed as suitable for use as service equipment and if that is the case, the terminations you need will be available from the manufacturer.
If it is not marked as such, you cannot convert it by field adding terminations.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If it is not marked as such, you cannot convert it by field adding terminations.
Is there a technical reason beyond this regulatory prohibition? I.e. are circuit breaker enclosures marked SUSE subject to additional tests that would be omitted on other enclosures?

Cheers, Wayne

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is there a technical reason beyond this regulatory prohibition? I.e. are circuit breaker enclosures marked SUSE subject to additional tests that would be omitted on other enclosures?

Cheers, Wayne
The main difference that I am aware of is that it has the required provisions for a main bonding jumper. If it is new it will also have the required line side insulating barriers.

paulengr

There are meter-mains that are what you are looking for. Past US practice was to use a service entrance meter socket then connect directly to an MDP. It is becoming more popular to do it the way our neighbors to the North generally do it which is with a meter-main and the “MDP” does not need a breaker as it becomes a sub panel although it typically still has one.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
If it can be used as service equipment it will be marked "suitable for use as service equipment when used with cat# neutral bar"

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If it can be used as service equipment it will be marked "suitable for use as service equipment when used with cat# neutral bar"
Sometimes the marking actually comes as a separate little sticker that you install yourself. I think in a very legalistic way you might have issues with such a conversion if the manufacturer does not support it, but as a practical matter it's not that big a deal. See if the manufacturer has a kit first. It may not be that big of a deal.

I'll be honest here. I would like a nice looking correct enclosure, that is externally operable, or has a dead front, and not have to fiddle with Jerry rigging something. But.....in a pinch, such as say because of a supply chain issue and a critical job, I would get out the label maker and make up a "suitable for use as service equipment" sticker.😇

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
I'll be honest here. I would like a nice looking correct enclosure, that is externally operable, or has a dead front, and not have to fiddle with Jerry rigging something. But.....in a pinch, such as say because of a supply chain issue and a critical job, I would get out the label maker and make up a "suitable for use as service equipment" sticker.😇
I would not do that. Let the inspector make that call. He may not even notice no label. But he will notice a non factory label. :0

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I usually use Siemens for my factory order panelboards. On the order quote and summary, there is a line item - if I asked for it - that says "Service entrance Label". IT appears this it is literally just a sticker that makes it "suitable for use as service equipment."
I had to add such a kit to a Siemens MCC once. It came as a big terminal and a label.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
There are meter-mains that are what you are looking for. Past US practice was to use a service entrance meter socket then connect directly to an MDP. It is becoming more popular to do it the way our neighbors to the North generally do it which is with a meter-main and the “MDP” does not need a breaker as it becomes a sub panel although it typically still has one.
Something I just found out, and maybe helpful to the NJ folks on this forum: PSE&G does not allow meter-mains in their territory. The PoCo rep I spoke with actually used the word "forbidden." He doesn't know why, and apparently no one else at PSE&G does either but PSE&G has some kind of hatred for meter-mains. Because... reasons, apparently.

They want a stand-alone meter trim, and are fine if you put a 3R panel next to it. I would've liked a meter-main at my house. It would look much more tidy that way. Oh, well...

SceneryDriver

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Almost every Enclosed Circuit Breaker package from the major manufacturers I have encountered is already SUSE listed, you just need to buy their "kit" that is basically the label and the necessary lugs. But if this is some sort of "home grown" enclosure with a breaker in it, that would not be the case.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Almost every Enclosed Circuit Breaker package from the major manufacturers I have encountered is already SUSE listed, you just need to buy their "kit" that is basically the label and the necessary lugs.
Sorry if I missed the answer to this, but is there a section of the NEC that requires you to use the manufacturer's kit, rather than some other lugs/terminal bar?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I would assume 110.3(B) would cover it. Using the equipment as listed by the mfr.
(2017) 230.66 says "230.66 Marking. Service equipment rated at 1000 volts or less shall be marked to identify it as being suitable for use as service equipment. All service equipment shall be listed or field labeled. . . ."

That certainly make it sound like you don't need equipment that has been listed for use as service equipment, all you would need to do is field label it, as electrofelon suggested.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.