Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

0003798847783_215X215.jpg

:grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Phone lines/jacks are one of the easiest ways to make money. If your simply extending an existing line, run a piece of Cat 3 from the nearest existing location. Terminate the new cable to the existing jack going color to color. Do the same on the other end for the new jack.

elvis_931

Thanks for the serious answer Trevor. I guess what I was really wanting to know is: Should I come from the nearest jack or from the service entry. You answered that one. Now; I am guessing it is difficult to fish a new CAT5 into an existing box to makeup the daisy chain. Any suggestions on that?
thanks again

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
elvis_931 said:
Thanks for the serious answer Trevor. I guess what I was really wanting to know is: Should I come from the nearest jack or from the service entry. You answered that one. Now; I am guessing it is difficult to fish a new CAT5 into an existing box to makeup the daisy chain. Any suggestions on that?
I'd run to whatever has the easiest access, whether it's the NID or another phone outlet. Also, look both overhead and below.

Quickest is to run from the closest/most accessable jack, best is a home run to the NI/protector, wherever that is (someone will thank you later, daisychaining phone hacks is a royal PITA for changes). At a minimum, use 4-pair CAT3 cable and decent hardware (leviton, ortronics, etc), not cheapest-at-big-orange hardware. There are quite a few websites that will tell you all about phone wiring.

Under no circumstances use 4-wire red/green/black/yellow cable, aka "JK" or "junk". The wires aren't paired.

Remember, they're plenty of hacks out there doing phone wiring, don't be one of them.

stickboy1375

elvis_931 said:
Funny! Too bad you cant run a computer off of a cordless phone station.

Who uses DSL ? and whats wrong with wireless? And just my 2cents, daisy chaining in this day of age is bull****... And you never said it was for a computer, just a phone line... :)

Last edited:

mdshunk

iwire said:
What are you guys doing that you need that much?
It's sorta like hard drive space, or garage space. You might not need a bigger one, but you'll figure out a way to fill it up. Same with your connection speed. You might be okay with what you have, but when you get a hotter connection, you'll figure out ways to utilize it, and spoil yourself.

elvis_931

I never mentioned needing the phone line for a computer because that info is irrelavent. The customer wants to add a phone jack in a bedroom; I do not really care why. If he is paying for it, he can do what he wants to with it. My question was not: Why do you think they want a phone line added for?, or whats better: dial-up or DSL?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
elvis_931 said:
...I am guessing it is difficult to fish a new CAT5 into an existing box to makeup the daisy chain. Any suggestions on that?
I've done plenty of add-a-jacks and almost always tapped the line at the most convenient point, whether that be the NI, a live run of station wire, or another jack. The latter being the least frequent type of tap, followed by the NI.

To tap a live line use Scotchlok or Ideal UR2 or UB2 connectors or their equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.