Adding sub feed lugs to existing Eaton PRL1a?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Does anyone on here have experience with adding sub feed lugs or breakers to the bottom spot of an existing Eaton PRL1a panel ?
Does the entire bussing need to be replaced if the panel was not made for that?
It sure does not look like there is anywhere to attach.
( I am awaiting my reply from tech support also)
I see they make a subfeed lug kit (PLA12SF225) but it does not look like there is anywhere to mount it and they have zero info on their website.
Thanks in advance Eaton_400A_Panel-2.jpeg-smaller.jpg
Eaton_400A_Panel.jpeg-smaller.jpg

I am not that familiar with Eaton PB's, but it is odd, I would think they would all be built with enough room for sub feed lugs, that is lame engineering.

There are plug on terminal blocks like these :

But I have never seen them for bolt ons. Might be able to get the appropriate "finger kit" to add some stabs and use a plug on. Kinda lame solution, even if possible.

Can everything be shifted up a space to get enough free real estate to put lugs on there?

Sorry Im not much help. Hopefully someone more knowing on Eaton will chime in or you will hear back from tech.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Thanks, my supply house guy wanted the model number off the interior which I could not find (its a 1.5 hr drive)
Still waiting for my call back from tech support.....

Digging thru their literature I found this which looks like a 400A Eaton panel is not capable of feed thru lugs.
I hope I am wrong.

Attachments

• Pow-R-Stock_Plus_quick_selector_reference_guide-s.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 16

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The sub-feed lug kits normally go in place of a breaker and, if space is a problem, the breaker is relocated to the new panel fed by the sub-feed lug.
Manufacturers rarelty, if ever, allow permission to alter their factory panels in any manner and I would think even less likely when they offer a solution in their lit.

The sub-feed lug kits normally go in place of a breaker and, if space is a problem, the breaker is relocated to the new panel fed by the sub-feed lug.
Manufacturers rarelty, if ever, allow permission to alter their factory panels in any manner and I would think even less likely when they offer a solution in their lit.
There are "feed thru lugs" and "sub feed lugs". I would say tortuga is looking for feed thru lugs. (here is doc by sq D on the topic: https://www.se.com/us/en/faqs/FA112516/ ). In a perfect world a panelbaord would always have the capability to bolt on feed thru lugs, but of course that is not always the case and you may be at the mercy of how the original PB was ordered and built.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I may have a 400A powerline panelboard with subfeed lugs sitting on a jobsite. I’ll ask my foreman to take a look and send me a pic of it tomorrow if it is on site. He texted me yesterday that interiors were delivered but I know all of them were not coming in that delivery.

Edit.... sorry, I spoke too soon. I just pulled up the submittal for that job, and it’s a 600A panelboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.