Adding Wireless Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcorps

Occupation
Engineer
Hey guys, as I rarely do residential design, I am finding myself a bit out of my element. I was hoping you guys might be able to suggest a product for me.

Whoever designed my house was not very conscientious. The light switch for my living room light switch is ridiculously next to the door to the back yard, even though I have no sidewalk to the rear, so would never, ever enter that way. So when I come out of my bedroom, I have to walk through a dark room to turn the lights on.

What I want to do is add three switches...one at the front entrance to the room, and at my master bedroom door, and at the corridor opening to the other bedrooms.

Is there a wireless system that uses one "smart" toggle switch (replace the existing switch), that can receive signal from 3 additional remote wireless switches? I would think the remote switches would be "kinetic"; i.e. just stick on the wall and no back box.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One of these dark daylight savings Winter mornings, I'm going to stumble in the dark and put my head through an aquarium or something.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Levition makes a wireless switch, when you turn it on or off it generates a signal to the receiver. The Lutron is a great system as their is a lot more you can do with it. I am just about ready to install a hub, and Z wave switches, then Alexia, turn on the kitchen lights.

bcorps

Occupation
Engineer
Sorry, Little Bill. I was a long time member, but my profile got deleted or something with a format change. I'll update it soon. (I'm a P.E.).

bcorps

Occupation
Engineer
Levition makes a wireless switch, when you turn it on or off it generates a signal to the receiver. The Lutron is a great system as their is a lot more you can do with it. I am just about ready to install a hub, and Z wave switches, then Alexia, turn on the kitchen lights.

I think that is what I am looking for. One switch with the receiver (put in existing switch box), with other new switches that just send a wireless signal to it.

bcorps

Occupation
Engineer
Little Bill, when I try to update my occupation, it keeps making the box red, saying "Please enter a value that matches the requested format". Is "Professional Engineer" not valid?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Little Bill, when I try to update my occupation, it keeps making the box red, saying "Please enter a value that matches the requested format". Is "Professional Engineer" not valid?
That is valid. This is new software and I'm not sure what is gong on. I will check to see what I can find.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I think that is what I am looking for. One switch with the receiver (put in existing switch box), with other new switches that just send a wireless signal to it.
Look for a Leviton Wireless Self powered switch. Its pretty simple but might seem expensive, but the Lutron would be more by the time you are done.

bcorps

Occupation
Engineer
Look for a Leviton Wireless Self powered switch. Its pretty simple but might seem expensive, but the Lutron would be more by the time you are done.

Tom, I have been checking out the WSS0S LevNet switches. Totally perfect. Thanks.

I just have to go home and make sure of how my device plates are all configured before I order. You're right...they seem spendy, but the Lutron would for certain be a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.