adjusting ampacity... it’s the umpire in me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Srv52761

Occupation
Energy Manager
First some background. I am not an electrician. I am an “energy manager”. I analyze energy consumption for a school district and try to figure out ways to save the district either energy usage or cost. Sometimes things I suggest to the district entails adding or modifying circuits, so I joined this forum to ask questions.

But, my 2nd job was a rules enforcer. My junior year in college I began umpiring to help pay tuition. I found I really enjoyed it. Until arthritis took its toll I had been a certified referee/umpire in softball, baseball, basketball, volleyball, and soccer, officiating sports for 45 years. I took it seriously, re-reading the rulebooks weekly during the season, and with each reading I would try to envision more and more exotic scenarios and figure out how to make the call. I actually “have a rule”.

Imagine my excitement when I discovered this forum and the NEC; a book of rules 1000 pages thick and a forum with its main focus of trying to interpret those rules when new scenarios arise.

Each time I read a post I look up the code on my pdf copy of the NEC, then I do a search of related terms and see what other rules may apply. Then, I do an internet search of Mike Holt videos to try to gain more insight, but... Sometimes that leads me to wondering, “what if...?”

Recent posts about derating ampacity because of bundling ccc in conduit or raceway led me to that wondering.

Moderators, I realize this is designed as a nuts and bolts forum to help practitioners with actual events in the field. As this is a hypothetical for my own clarification please feel free to shut it down if you think it violates the TOS.

The relevant codes
310.15(B)(3)(a)
Adjustment Factors.
(a) More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors in a Raceway or Cable. Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three, or where single conductors or multiconductor cables are installed without maintaining spacing for a continuous length longer than 600 mm (24 in.) and are not installed in raceways, the allowable ampacity of each conductor shall be reduced as shown in Table 310.15(B)(3)(a)
From the table: 4-6 ccc 80%

So this says to adjust the ampacity to 80% if the bundling is more than 24”. It seems pretty clear and they made a point of saying as little as 24” was enough to adjust the ampacity. But,

310.15(A)(2)Exception: Where two different ampacities apply to adja-
cent portions of a circuit, the higher ampacity shall be
permitted to be used beyond the point of transition, a dis-
tance equal to 3.0 m (10 ft) or 10 percent of the circuit
length figured at the higher ampacity, whichever is less.

So if someone wanted to bundle direct buried conductors to bring them into a building....

Given: You are running a sub panel to an outbuilding. You would like to have a 3-way switch in the house to turn on an electric heater in the outbuilding 30 minutes before you enter. The cables for these would exit the main building from different locations, and be direct burial in their own trench. They would meet at the outbuilding at a single location. For a neater installation and only one penetration into the outbuilding you would like to exit and return the switch loop wiring at the outbuilding through the conduit with the mhf. The conduit begins 18” under ground, extends up 66” along the outbuilding, then enters the building through a 6” wall.

The total conduit length at the outbuilding is 90”
Feeder is Aluminum 2-2-2-4 mhf = 2 ccc
Switch loop is 12awg copper uf = 2 ccc.
Total ccc =4, total length bundled in conduit = 90”

Scenario 1
Both the feeder distance and the switch loop distance to the outbuilding are greater than 100’. (see the diagram)
What are the ampacities of the cables?

Scenario 2
The distance for the mhf from the main panel to the outbuilding is 70’.
The distance from the 3-way switch to the outbuilding is greater than 100’.
What are the ampacities of the cables?

D20885F4-F7E4-4E03-BF51-FEA4F4988CBC.jpeg
On my ipad the thumbnail only pulls up part of the diagram. I am inserting a full image in hopes it is complete. ... No go you may have to look at the thumbnail to see the bottom half.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm not a moderator, but I hope that they will allow this thread, as it's clearly not a DIY request. I'm curious to see what will come out of this discussion.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
If energy conservation is a priority, I'd change the 3-way switch to a start-stop control station, controlling a time-delay relay that turns the heater off automatically. Coincidentally, the question of ampacity and cccs will go away as the small cable is now carrying only the relay's coil current, less than one amp.

If labor conservation is a priority, I'd dig just one trench.

Srv52761

Occupation
Energy Manager
No current actual application. This is just how my brain works. I have always been a rules person. As a kid I would study the sports rulebooks to see how to play, then just think about things, what if you did this or that? I have blurted out at high school basketball games and even an NCAA final four volleyball match and had the officials change their calls. In high school we won a baseball game when I alerted our coach the opposing catcher was balking.

When I read the NEC my mind keeps going, “Ok, I see. But what about if you did it this way or that way?”

WRT saving $$ it is specific to the way power companies bill.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The two sets of wiring (feeder and switch leg) may run afoul with 225.30 so unfortunately the point is moot.

Srv52761

Occupation
Energy Manager
I had looked at that.
“Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these
additional buildings or other structures, only one feeder or
branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to
the original building or structure, unless permitted in
225.30(A) through (E).....
D) Different Characteristics. Additional feeders or
branch circuits shall be permitted for different voltages,
frequencies, or phases or for different uses, such as control
of outside lighting from multiple locations.“

It looked to me like this was written to specifically allow for a switch that originates in the outbuilding, no?
If not, change the heater use to exterior lighting.

My question was wrt which code would take precedence, the 24” rule or the less than 10% rule, and could it vary for different conductors within the same conduit based on the length of the rest of the run.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I had looked at that.
D) Different Characteristics. Additional feeders or
branch circuits shall be permitted for different voltages,
frequencies, or phases or for different uses, such as control
of outside lighting from multiple locations.“

If not, change the heater use to exterior lighting.

My question was wrt which code would take precedence, the 24” rule or the less than 10% rule, and could it vary for different conductors within the same conduit based on the length of the rest of the run.
That section specifically mentions exterior lighting on which I based my original response.

So if it were as you said exterior lighting then you would have 4 CCC's in the short section of raceway at the first building. Since the exception (the 10'/10% rule) would apply you do not need to apply the 24" rule. I think that is what you're asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.