Advertising - golf course card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I got a call from someone selling advertisements on a card that is provided to golfers at a local golf course. He said $399 a year, offered $25 off if I sign up today. The card they provide to the golfers has a picture of each hole on the golf course with distance and stats marked, and under each picture is a little ad for a local business. He said the golf course gets 30,000 visits a year. The golf course is right near the middle of my target geographical area.

Does this sound like a good deal? I would expect the real number of unique visitors to the golf course is 6,000 to 10,000, because a lot of people play every week.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I have never gone to a business simply because I saw their name at a golf course. But, hey it costs money to make money.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I got a call from someone selling advertisements on a card that is provided to golfers at a local golf course. He said $399 a year, offered $25 off if I sign up today. The card they provide to the golfers has a picture of each hole on the golf course with distance and stats marked, and under each picture is a little ad for a local business. He said the golf course gets 30,000 visits a year. The golf course is right near the middle of my target geographical area.

Does this sound like a good deal? I would expect the real number of unique visitors to the golf course is 6,000 to 10,000, because a lot of people play every week.
So, that's about 4¢ per hit at 10,000 unique contacts? I dunno, if I had nothing better to do with the money I might go for it. I don't know how many people are contemplating electrical work while on the course. You'd also have to contact trace your inquiries, which you should be doing anyway, to see what your return is on that investment.

retirede

I don't know how many people are contemplating electrical work while on the course.

I don’t think it’s about people seeing the advertisement when they’re contemplating hiring someone. It’s about getting people familiar with your name.
Just think of all the signs at high school ball fields. No one is thinking about hiring a contractor during their kid’s baseball game.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I got a call for the same advertising. However, it was kind of misleading. I didn't get the call live, they left a voice message. The message said.........
"We have a project at Par Four (my made up name) golf course. Would you give us a call to see if you can help with this project?"
When I called them I got the sales pitch for the advertising. That didn't sit well with me so I turned them down.

I have bought other advertising similar to this such as city maps, restaurant table mats, etc. To my knowledge, I never had anyone say they got my number from them. I would rather help out with kids activities that are selling ads. That would get your name out there and help the kids as well.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I don’t advertise. This is from my perspective…
I don’t pay attention to card advertisements, but I actually do read the advertisements on the menu or table cover wraps at the local restaurant while I’m waiting on a server or the food.
I could name off at least half of them from memory

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks everyone, good input. Now that you mention it, I can recall some interesting ones from the tables of some restaurants, so maybe that's better for getting name recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.