Advice: Customer wants a 400a ATS and Gen to power entire house

Status
Not open for further replies.

gooblanzee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As stated in title...
Customer wants a 400a transfer switch installed for a FUTURE ~400a genny to power his entire home.
Does not want the genny installed, just pre-wired with an ATS, gen feed, etc.

New construction home.
400a service
3x 200a sub panels
(upstairs, downstairs, A/Cs + outdoor equipment)
Single phase

Planning on installing a 400a ATS next to the 400a meter base.
Feeding a 400a Nema 3r Main breaker load center
Part #- BR4242B400R
Then branch off to feed the 3 Subs with 200a breakers

That's where what I thought was a good plan dissolved. I cannot find plug on 200a BR breakers for the 400a main panel

PHOTO OF MOCK UP

Anyone have some advice on this?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
As ptonsparky suggested, just use two 200 amp 3r mains tapped off the 400 amp tswitch. If the load lugs on the switch do not accept two wires if single lug, or does not have double lugs, use insulated tap blocks such as made by Polaris to split off the full size 400 amp feed.

gooblanzee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As ptonsparky suggested, just use two 200 amp 3r mains tapped off the 400 amp tswitch. If the load lugs on the switch do not accept two wires if single lug, or does not have double lugs, use insulated tap blocks such as made by Polaris to split off the full size 400 amp feed.
Thank you.

Will reduce down to 2x 200a mains.

I was complicating it by trying to tap off with 3x 200a panels.

got it

hillbilly1

Occupation
Just seen you are feeding four 200 amp subs, still can be done with three 200 amp 3r disconnects with one 200 amp MB 3r panel for the A/C’s. Five port Polaris lugs and a 3r wireway would be a must. The 400 amp tswitch is service rated?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The ATS does not have lugs for parallel taps on the load side. At least, none I have found thus far do. Where would I make my taps?
The last 400 A Generac ATS I installed did have its lugs rated for parallel conductors. They are single lug but of an oblong hole design for installation of two conductors.

Just seen you are feeding four 200 amp subs, still can be done with three 200 amp 3r disconnects with one 200 amp MB 3r panel for the A/C’s. Five port Polaris lugs and a 3r wireway would be a must. The 400 amp tswitch is service rated?
Perhaps getting a nice single panelboard, with the 200A breakers and the AC stuff in it as well would be the way to go.

gooblanzee

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Perhaps getting a nice single panelboard, with the 200A breakers and the AC stuff in it as well would be the way to go.
I cannot find a 400a 240/120V single phase Nema 3r panel with bolt breakers or even snap in breakers that size to 200a. Any suggestions?

Yes, the op could get a Square D iLine panel, it would be a little more pricey, but would be a cleaner look.
yeah that would work too. Only thing with an I-line is Im not sure if you can put 15-100A miniatures in there in addition to the distribution breakers. I know the Siemens can be configured with a mix of different frame sized breakers if you wanted/needed.

hillbilly1

Occupation
yeah that would work too. Only thing with an I-line is Im not sure if you can put 15-100A miniatures in there in addition to the distribution breakers. I know the Siemens can be configured with a mix of different frame sized breakers if you wanted/needed.
You can, my old boss has a 600 amp in his house, and it has an adapter for QO breakers. His is five + years old, so they should still have them readily available. He also has three 200’s feeding panels throughout the house.

paulengr

The older ones are limited to 150 A frames. The newer “F” series frames if I remember my numbering go up to 250 A in Square D.

With Siemens you may have to upgrade to the larger 800 panel board but it will do it. Common for mobile home parks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
side note: Check your equipment ground size for your 400 amp ATS.

Status
Not open for further replies.