Afci 210-12 (b)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABLE

Beware a lot of supply houses are still carrying an AFCI breaker that does meet 2005 code per the code section given. The AFCI breaker must be a cobination type which differs from the Branch feeder type.

mcclary's electrical

I learned that the hard way,,,,and I called my supply shop and asked them, why are they even selling AFCI's that aren't combination type. They should be pulled from shelves.

gndrod

Latest AFCI

Latest AFCI

Notice that the Test Buttons for the 2008 Combination Breaker is a white button. The older 2005 types are light Blue. This is fairly standard but count on variations between mfrs. rbj

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Notice that the Test Buttons for the 2008 Combination Breaker is a white button. The older 2005 types are light Blue. This is fairly standard but count on variations between mfrs. rbj

depends on the make.
I got this when I questioned G-E:
"The GE non-combination breaker is gray with a white test button.

There are now two generations of GE CAFCI breakers in service.
The initial version was a black breaker with a blue test button, the current generation is gray with a black rocker type test button."

Buck Parrish

I still run in to guys I know have been doing electrical work for many years. Some still think the afci combo means afci and gfci combined. Any body else saw that?
Also I know electricians that have been electricians full time for 25 years. Some have never heard of a megger.

gndrod

depends on the make.
I got this when I questioned G-E:
"The GE non-combination breaker is gray with a white test button.

There are now two generations of GE CAFCI breakers in service.
The initial version was a black breaker with a blue test button, the current generation is gray with a black rocker type test button."

I got the same blue-white test color when I contacted Sq D prior to market release. The button colors were consistent between the three mfrs asked. Handles are in general black unless its Murray, CH, Sylvania, and so on.....rbj

gndrod

A difference

A difference

I still run in to guys I know have been doing electrical work for many years. Some still think the afci combo means afci and gfci combined. Any body else saw that?
Also I know electricians that have been electricians full time for 25 years. Some have never heard of a megger.
Hi Buck,
The present AFCI Combination does not operate at a GFCI threshold and will not function for both shock and arc protection levels. An AFCI breaker in line with a GFCI receptacle is the only Combined protection on the market that I know of at this time. rbj

Buck Parrish

Hi Buck,
The present AFCI Combination does not operate at a GFCI threshold and will not function for both shock and arc protection levels. An AFCI breaker in line with a GFCI receptacle is the only Combined protection on the market that I know of at this time. rbj

Thanks, but I know, ;) I was saying a lot of guys still think a combination means gfic and Afci protection. I know it does not.

electricmanscott

Simens, Murray, Old GE >> Blue
Cutler Hammer >> Yellow
New GE >> White
Sq D >> White

Older buttons were various colors also.

macmikeman

Now here is the ultimate question, since I have a half case of the older ones left over. Can they be used as replacement for same older non combination afci's once the old ones buy the farm? (side note- I got so many from wiring several "package" homes where they over supplied the circuit breakers. Typically they would short me a few cheap resi duplex receptacle devices, but I didn't fuss too much about the whole mixups.:))

Status
Not open for further replies.