afci and shared circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
I have few questions I dont want to post 3 separate post. We are doing this kithcen and dining room remodel.

1. do we need to afci the refridge in kitchen? my boss says its exempt if the receptacle is behind the rrefridge. I dont see any excemptions in code
2. can i use 20a circuit for disposal and dishwasher ? i only see 210.23 a 1 and or 2, Im not sure, we already separated dishwasher and disposal Im just checking if I could have.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I don't see any exemptions for a refrigerator. As far as the dishwasher and disposal I would put them on their own circuits but Code wise I don't consider them continuous loads so if they add up to less than 20A I guess you could. I don't find anything that says you can't.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
The NEC itself doesn't directly require a dishwasher to be on its own circuit.

Very often the dishwasher install instructions will call for a separate circuit. Following the install instructions is an NEC requirement.

FWIW (DIY report) in my own kitchen I ran two circuits under the sink. One for the dishwasher. The other shared between the disposal and an instant hot water tap. Very likely they would all be fine on a single circuit.

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.