AFCI breakers nuisance tripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rsemp

Occupation
Electrician
I wired a home that has two outlets, dishwasher and disposal, and microwave in the island. All neutrals are separated ( each on individual AFCI breakers). This home was finished 11 months ago and now experiencing tripping issues. I’ve done this several times before and never had issues like this, my question is should I have an individual ground for each circuit?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Try swapping each tripping AFCI breaker with another one that isn't tripping.

This has worked more often than not for me. No, the grounds aren't relevant.

Rsemp

Occupation
Electrician
Don't you have separate cables for each circuit or is this in conduit?

-Hal
Yes in conduit. I ran romex for each circuit to a junction box and conduit from there with THHN. I stated that these were all on AFCI breakers but I remembered that due to limited space, the two outlets are on a combination AFCI/GFCI

James L

Occupation
Electrician
It might help to know the trip characteristics.

Do the breakers reset? Or are they tripping instantaneously?

If they reset, are they tripping together?

Are they tripping only when the appliances are in use, or just random nuicance?

Are they tripping at a certain time of day or night?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
AFCI breakers are notorious for not "liking" some types of loads, especially motor loads. I've been advocating not using AFCI breakers because you cannot swap brands if there is an issue with the load. So instead, use AFCI receptacles and if the one you install is too sensitive for a particular load, change the receptacle to a different brand until you find one that holds.

shortcircuit2

AFCI breakers are notorious for not "liking" some types of loads, especially motor loads. I've been advocating not using AFCI breakers because you cannot swap brands if there is an issue with the load. So instead, use AFCI receptacles and if the one you install is too sensitive for a particular load, change the receptacle to a different brand until you find one that holds.
I have used a surge cube inline with some equipment to alleviate nuisance tripping and it worked...

Status
Not open for further replies.