AFCI in an outbuilding on a residential property.

But as I remember it only has wimpy 250 amp buss bars.

I have a 400 amp NQOB after my meter main. I know you hate SquareD though.
Nice! You are really not messing around. P1's are available with 400 amp busbars, but if I could go back id bump up to a P2 with 600A to beat you :ROFLMAO:

Actually I am a bit dramatic sometimes when I say I hate sq D. I do really like their I-line stuff. My main reason for not liking them is because they were the ones that lobbied to get the surge suppressor in the code.....and their long AFCI's are kinda annoying.

vinny?

Instead of $ 400.00 dollar bolt on breakers why can't you install AFC blank devices next to the panel.

Attachments

• LEVMFCE26573_D13-D15.pdf
    118.5 KB · Views: 7
Occupation
Electrician
I wish I could nipple a wireway to the bottom of the isolation transformer and drop 10 x 20A AFCI din rail mounted breakers fed with a 100A main that terminated into a comb bus bar. I was quoted the same price to do this as a whole panel.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I wish I had three phase here. The POCO three phase is about 3 miles away.

You could generate your own. Broken gensets are cheap. Most times there isn't much wrong with them. Then you could have 480 three phase, even change your frequency if you like

AdamTeeScott

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
CAFCI are devices that are said to detect and clear both series and parallel arcing faults. The original AFCIs were branch circuit and feeder AFCIs. The combination AFCIs have been required starting with the 2011 code. Note this is not to be confused with a dual function AFCI which provides combination AFCI protection and GFCI protection.
Just added this question for my Code Refresher CEU students so we can discuss it. Here's a good graphic I found from Leviton showing both parallel and series arcs that AFCIs protect against.
arcs.jpg