afci installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie tuna

i have been retired a few years and am not famaliar with afci installations, only their requirments. i am building my retirment home and am considering using them throughout my house. first off, are they troublesome?? second, is it worth it? from what i read, eventually the codes are going in this direction. third, i assuming they require a separate neutral to each circuit? thanks, tuna

bphgravity

I would consider waiting until the AFCI combination devices become available some time late next year. I don't think there is any real evidence the current branch/feeder types are all that effective. I haven't seen any reports or papers indicating otherwise as the number of house electrical fires have not significantly dropped over the last several years.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bryan,
I don't think there is any real evidence the current branch/feeder types are all that effective. I haven't seen any reports or papers indicating otherwise as the number of house electrical fires have not significantly dropped over the last several years.
You shouldn't expect to see any significant drop in the number of fires. Based on the fire cause numbers cited by the AFCI proponents, we would only expect to see 14 less fires the first year of 100% compliance with the 2005 version of 210.12. This is because 85% of the dwelling unit electrical fires occured in dwellings that were over 20 years old at the time of the fire.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.