AFCI per 2008 code

Status
Not open for further replies.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi All,
Can someone briefly outline the AFCI residential requirements per 2008 NEC? I do not have that code book. The residential job I am on is stamped to use this code. One device I have a question about is smoke detectors. I know the requirements for 2014, but not 2008. Thanks.

Jim

kwired

Electron manager
Hi All,
Can someone briefly outline the AFCI residential requirements per 2008 NEC? I do not have that code book. The residential job I am on is stamped to use this code. One device I have a question about is smoke detectors. I know the requirements for 2014, but not 2008. Thanks.

Jim
Very early on when AFCI's were first required, they were required for the entire circuit feeding "outlets" in the rooms that were mentioned. Smoke detectors have an "outlet". You usually put them in multiple rooms and all on one circuit. The fact that just one of those outlets is in a room mentioned in the AFCI protection requirements means the entire circuit will be protected.

The rules have changed a little over time, but smoke detector circuit still typically hits many different rooms and if one of them is requiring AFCI protection the entire circuit requires protection.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you very much for the information. Pennsylvania, which is where I’m from, is a little behind the times.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Can someone briefly outline the AFCI residential requirements per 2008 NEC? ..One device I have a question about is smoke detectors..

2008 NEC 760.41(B)
“This branch circuit shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit-interrupters.

Informational Note: See 210.8(A)(5), Exception, for re-ceptacles in dwelling-unit unfinished basements that supply power for fire alarm systems.”

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you very much. That does help. There is a lot more that need them that I seem to remember. Have a good day.

Jim

david

Thank you very much for the information. Pennsylvania, which is where I’m from, is a little behind the times.

Jim

Next month PA. will move to the 2015 IRC with amendments from the state , and will adopt the 2014 NEC for structures that are not one and two family dwellings or townhouses

yes the circuit supplying outlets for the 120 volt smoke detectors and carbon detectors will need AFCI protection

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Next month PA. will move to the 2015 IRC with amendments from the state , and will adopt the 2014 NEC for structures that are not one and two family dwellings or townhouses

yes the circuit supplying outlets for the 120 volt smoke detectors and carbon detectors will need AFCI protection

Hi David,

As a side note. The city of Philadelphia is adopting the 2017 Code. I would imagine with the 2018 IRC. I bet this is because all the trouble the code enforcement office has had.

Jim

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi,
The last I looked, outside of Philadelphia, it will be the 2014 NEC. I have talked to the inspectors oubout this as well. 2014 is what there getting ready for.

JIM

david

Wait, so the new code won't apply to one and two family dwellings? :?

https://www.dli.pa.gov/ucc/Documents/Official-Record-of-2015-Code-Review-Amended 07232018.pdf

Delete Section E3901.7
(Reverts to 2009 E3901.7)

Amend Section E3901.11:
“E3901.11 Foyers. Foyers that are not part of a hallway in
accordance with Section E3901.10 and that have an area
that is greater than 60 square feet (5.57 m2) shall have a
receptacle(s) located in each wall space that is

6 feet (1829 mm)

or more in width, but a minimum
of one receptacle. Doorways, door-side windows that
extend to the floor, and similar openings shall not be
considered as wall space.”

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you very much for the information David

Jim

Craigv

Wait, so the new code won't apply to one and two family dwellings? :?

First I'm seeing this. Every source I know, including several AHJ code officials I know, says PA adopts 2104 (w/mods) on 10/1/18, and Philthy goes to 2017 ahead of the state's UCC. No exceptions for 1 and 2 family dwellings or townhouses has ever been mentioned in these parts.:?

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For some reason there is a lot of confusion in regards to the upcoming changes in PA. A very good friend of mine is an electrical inspector for a very larg company. He has been an inspector for over 15 years. I spoke to him about this about 3 weeks ago. Hopefully things will / are sorting out. I went to Philadelphia’s L and I website and found the following. This is only for the city, not the rest of the state.

The Philadelphia Building Construction and Occupancy Code contains the local modifications to the adopted ICC codes. Please be aware that for plumbing-related items, Philadelphia currently uses the Philadelphia Plumbing Code and does not use the International Plumbing Code or the plumbing provisions of the International Residential Code.

The 2018 International Codes (ICC Codes) and the 2015 International Residential Code (IRC) become effective October 1, 2018. Pursuant to the UCC, if a design or construction contract for proposed work was signed before October 1, 2018, the permit application may comply with the 2010 Philadelphia Building Code (2009 ICC Codes), with reference to the accessibility provisions of the 2015 International Building Code.

Applications filed on or after April 1, 2019, must comply with the 2018 Philadelphia Code, incorporating the 2018 ICC Codes (and the 2015 IRC) with local and state modifications.

david

Philly most likely submitted amendments to the uniform construction code to the department of labor and industry based on the provision that these amendments meet or exceed the requirements in the PA Uniform Construction Code.

As far as the rest of the state and the states electrical codes PA will adopt the 2015 residential building code with a few changes to chapter 39 and will adopt 2014 NEC without amendments for all other structures ( other than one and two family dwellings and townhouses

This may result in a small conflict in the applying electrical provisions for some commercial dwellings since there are as i read it only two changes that effect the electrical requirements in the 2015 residential code i'm not seeing this as troublesome

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thank you for the information. I sounds less complicated then people, including myself, are making it.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.