AFCI protection for aluminum wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

kroboye

New User
Pigtailing every wire in a house wired with aluminum can get a little pricey for some people. Since the main danger comes from connections deteriating causing arcing and possibly fire, wouldn't replacing the lighting circuit breakers with AFCI breakers be a viable alternative, since they are designed to protect against exactly this kind of problem? On all the jobs I've had dealing with aluminum wiring, the majority of the wiring is in good condition, with maybe 1 or 2 items with a problem.

Buck Parrish

Exactly, problems start to occur when somebody changes a device. Not knowing the new one is not rated of al. However you still will have more problems with al branch circuit wiring then you will cu. Even in lights or junctions where there are no devices.
If you don't want to use splices from al to cu. You can get devices reated for al. Makes it easier and faster.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
kroboye said:
Pigtailing every wire in a house wired with aluminum can get a little pricey for some people. Since the main danger comes from connections deteriating causing arcing and possibly fire, wouldn't replacing the lighting circuit breakers with AFCI breakers be a viable alternative

My gut reaction is that's not a bad idea. If the aluminum is connected to a co/al device then the issue should be minimized anyway. Arc fault can't hurt since they are strating to require it everywhere.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If you get AL rated device terminals, more pigtails are eliminated by looping single-device terminals. In & out without breaking the conductor.

76nemo

If you are that concerned with the matter, check out the Ideal 61-165:

http://www.tequipment.net/Ideal61-165.asp

Loop impedance is a strict rule of thumb. Most here on this forum call that tool a glorified receptacle tester. The 61-165 is more capable than one might think. Most people on this forum shoot that tester down. The 61-165 is worth the $.

quogueelectric

I have been thinking aout it since It started. The danger of a copper branch ckt causing a fire is small.The danger of an aluminum circuit starting a fire is real and present danger. An afci would detect the arcing and trip the ckt alerting the homeowner to a hazard before it starts. You may have to pigtail the first wire out and the wiring would have to be basically correct for it to work properly but it could possibly stop a tragedy. It seems like the perfect solution for al wiring but I doubt the mfg will take this liability on.

Status
Not open for further replies.