AFCI protection in health care facilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Sure, why not?

HCFs are not immune to fires from the use of defective or damaged cables and cords, especially when considering the transient nature of medical carts and medical cord-and-plug connected equipment commonly used in HCFs...

bphgravity

False tripping comes to mind pretty quickly. :lol:

Not if the UL STPs make an diligent effort to harmonize the UL 1699 Standard to the various medical appliance standards like UL 60601-1, UL 416, UL 130, UL 1431, & UL 1097.

Perhaps this effort is already underway... ;)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Not if the UL STPs make an diligent effort to harmonize the UL 1699 Standard to the various medical appliance standards like UL 60601-1, UL 416, UL 130, UL 1431, & UL 1097.

Im sure they are... ;)

Now, my question is, does an isolated power supply mitigate the risk or do those also benefit from AFCI?

iwire

Staff member
Now, my question is, does an isolated power supply mitigate the risk or do those also benefit from AFCI?

AFCIs benefit all circuits. I say AFCIs for cars, AFCIs for my class 2 doorbell circuit, you can never be to careful. No amount of money is to much if we might possibly, perhaps, save one life at some time.

:D

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
AFCIs benefit all circuits. I say AFCIs for cars, AFCIs for my class 2 doorbell circuit, you can never be to careful. No amount of money is to much if we might possibly, perhaps, save one life at some time.

:D
Don't forget to save the life of the Sparky who commits suicide out of frustration.

user 100

False tripping comes to mind pretty quickly. :lol:

False tripping that could be deadly too. Forget hcfs-what about oxygen concentrators that are becoming increasingly present in many homes due to the growing number of people with chronic lung disease? I wonder how many of us would feel if we had advanced emphysema, required o2 24/7, only to have one of these curiosities act goofy and cut off our life line.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Where is the fire data to support this? Fires in health care facilities are not very common.

user 100

Where is the fire data to support this? Fires in health care facilities are not very common.

I remember several years ago seeing a study that said that electrical malfunctions were either first or second cause of uncontained hospitals fires or something to that effect. They do seem to be rarity though, kind of amazing considering the amount of spaghetti that you seen get run over and mashed in those places. As far as afcis preventing those fires.......

Status
Not open for further replies.