AFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am working on a project where we have completely gutted cabins and are rewiring them. Does "Dormitory Units" cover a cabin that has a bathroom and a bed or two in it but no kitchen. I Cannot find a definition for dormitory unit. these are not long term rentals but i still view them as necessary the contractor does not. a little clarity on this would be very helpful

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
If this is being used as a dormitory the way typical units are used I would imagine AFCI protection is required.

user 100

Are these private rentals or are they living/sleeping space units attached to a school or institution?

Couldn't this also meet the definition of a guest suite?-I got to thinking this because the defintion of a dwelling unit in art 100 would include provisions for cooking and he said it lacked a kitchen.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
these are rental cabins that are located in Yellowstone national park.

Are they owned by the park service?
Once wired some buildings in a state park here in Va. and we couldn't do anything to please the park service....

jumper

Couldn't this also meet the definition of a guest suite?-I got to thinking this because the defintion of a dwelling unit in art 100 would include provisions for cooking and he said it lacked a kitchen.

210.18 Guest Rooms and Guest Suites. Guest rooms and
guest suites that are provided with permanent provisions for
cooking shall have branch circuits installed to meet the
rules for dwelling units.

jumper

these are rental cabins that are located in Yellowstone national park.

yes but if you read 210.12.c it says dormitory units which do not have kitchens must have AFCI protection.

Does not sound like dorms in the traditional sense to me. At best, guest room and since no kitchen-no AFCI.

As I posted above:

210.18 Guest Rooms and Guest Suites. Guest rooms and
guest suites that are provided with permanent provisions for
cooking shall have branch circuits installed to meet the
rules for dwelling units.

Guest Room. An accommodation combining living, sleeping,
sanitary, and storage facilities within a compartment.

I viewed these cabins as a dormitory style unit. they contain 4 rooms per building each with a private bath, no kitchen or hall, each bedroom exits to the outside. they will be used as rentals inside Yellowstone national park. I interpret dormitory unit as a room one pays to sleep or stay at. (the duration shouldn't have anything to do with classification).
thanks

jumper

I viewed these cabins as a dormitory style unit. they contain 4 rooms per building each with a private bath, no kitchen or hall, each bedroom exits to the outside. they will be used as rentals inside Yellowstone national park. I interpret dormitory unit as a room one pays to sleep or stay at. (the duration shouldn't have anything to do with classification).
thanks

So a hotel guest suite is a dorm room?

Guest Suite. An accommodation with two or more contiguous
rooms comprising a compartment, with or without
doors between such rooms, that provides living, sleeping,
sanitary, and storage facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.