AFCI Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: AFCI Protection

I would say ?yes, in the bedrooms of the facility.? AFCI is required for ?dwelling unit? bedrooms. The definition of ?dwelling unit? (2002 version) is, ?One or more rooms for the use of one or more persons as a housekeeping unit with space for eating, living, and sleeping, and permanent provisions for cooking and sanitation.? The way I read that definition, a nursing home would qualify. But it is really up to the local authority.

crwill

AFCI's are not required in a motel or hotel and sound as tho they meet the same definition of a bedroom. I have an engineer that has this on all his plans for a nursing home but i feel that they are not required. ???

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

A hotel might meet the same definition of "bedroom," a term not defined in the NEC. But I don't think it would meet the same definition of "dwelling unit," as I have quoted above. In my mind, the difference is the word "housekeeping." Hotels are generally short term, and staying in a hotel room would not be considered "housekeeping." Also, most hotels do not have permanent facilities for cooking.

On the other hand, I have stayed at facilities (Homestead Suites and Extended Stay America, to name two) that are intended for longer stays. They do have ranges, sinks, and countertop work surfaces. I would say that this counts as a "dwelling unit," and would require AFCI protection in the bedroom area. But I did not bother to check to see if the AFCI was there.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I don't see the nursing home as a dwelling unit. I think that the various provisions that are required to make up a dwelling unit must be more closely associated with each other before the intent of the definition is satisified. Nursing home is defined in Article 517 and does not include the words "dwelling unit".
Don

mc5w

A nursing home is more of a health care facility than a dwelling.

The AFCI requirement is also quite illogical, arbitrary, and eclectic because 208 volt and 240 volt equipment in a bedroom is not required to be on an AFCI. I can even install a 277 volt baseboard heater of PTAC in a bedroom without AFCI if the utility allows it.

In the meantime, the older houses that use extension cords the most are not required to be refitted with AFCI. For some knob and tube installations AFCI would be impossible to install.

What also gets me is that the current generation of AFCIs are only supposed to trip for arcs of 75 amps an up. That still leaves a lot of potential fire hazard.

What we really need is to require zip cord to have a nylon jacket that gives it some amount of abrasion resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.