AFCI receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AFCI receptacle

But, seems like I recall seeing that the series arc detection only occurs for arc currents of 75 amps or more. I haven't gone back and read the UL tests lateley, but at one time that was the test level. Kinda hard to get 75 amps arc current ona 20 amp BC.

Have the specs improved, or is it still 75 amps?

mikeackley

dellphinus:

There are several different arcing tests performed by UL and yes indeed, one of them is the 75 amp test that you recall. They are "contact" and "non-contact" arcing tests conducted with NM-B cable and SPT-2 flexible cord with a parallel insullation cut. Tests are conducted with arcing currents of 75A through 500A! Acceptable performance is clearing the arcing fault if 8 half-cycles of arcing occur within a period of 1/2 second. http://www.ul.com/regulators/afci/AFCI_scenarios020502.pdf

[ March 08, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: mikeackley ]

wocolt

AFCI receptacles ??? Who makes them?
All I have seen is AFCI breakers, If anyone knows of one I would like to hear about it.
The CSPC can say anything it wants, but these devices have NOT been tested in OLD work where I would think they may do the most good.
I have seen the C & H video where they physically cut a conductor with what appears to be a meat-cleaver on a hinge and gives a real nice ARC and of course the breaker trips. But I wonder about the credibility of these tests, the real world is not that straight forward.
I remember reading an article in EC & M where they were thinking about putting these devices into the code and they were talking about a 10 or 15 amp arc fault, the point that a standard breaker would not pick up that kind of arcing where an AFCI would. According to recent specs they still dont, and will operate at a 75 amp fault after 8 cycles( have also seen 8 Half-cycles)there is not a concensus on how long it takes it to trip.

WOC

Status
Not open for further replies.