AFCI required when replacing devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc12

Hello,

I have a customer who had a roof leak, with stains on the wall. Thus, a contractor is replacing the blueboard ceiling and 1 wall. The electrical inspector told me that if I replace any outlets and the outlet box, I MUST now put them on an AFCI breaker. I simply want to replace 2 existing outlets that were old and should be replaced with type TR. The old boxes had were metal and were held in place by madison bars. I am not adding any wiring...
What is the inspector referring to code wise???

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
406.4(D)(4) likely
(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Where a recepta cle outlet is located in any areas specified in 210.12(A) or (B), a replacement receptacle at this outlet shall be one of the following: (1) A listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuitinterrupter receptacle (2) A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit-interrupter type receptacle (3) A receptacle protected by a listed combination type arcfault circuit-interrupter type circuit breaker

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I simply want to replace 2 existing outlets
406.4 ... Exception note : 210.12 (D) 2 ... next Exception as noted ..AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing branch circuit conductors is not more than 6 ft and does not include any additional outlets or devices other than splicing devices. The measurement shall not include the conductors inside an enclosure, cabinet or junction box.

holy moly ... I'd argue it unless the inspector has an attitude.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
406.4 ... Exception note : 210.12 (D) 2 ... next Exception as noted ..AFCI protection shall not be required where the extension of the existing branch circuit conductors is not more than 6 ft and does not include any additional outlets or devices other than splicing devices. The measurement shall not include the conductors inside an enclosure, cabinet or junction box.

holy moly ... I'd argue it unless the inspector has an attitude.
You are mixing apples and oranges. A replacement receptacle needs to comply with 406.4(D)(4). That has nothing to do with 210.12(D) Exception.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Hello,

I have a customer who had a roof leak, with stains on the wall. Thus, a contractor is replacing the blueboard ceiling and 1 wall. The electrical inspector told me that if I replace any outlets and the outlet box, I MUST now put them on an AFCI breaker. I simply want to replace 2 existing outlets that were old and should be replaced with type TR. The old boxes had were metal and were held in place by madison bars. I am not adding any wiring...
What is the inspector referring to code wise???

would they happen to be old two wire outlets?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You are mixing apples and oranges. A replacement receptacle needs to comply with 406.4(D)(4). That has nothing to do with 210.12(D) Exception.
I’ve read that also, and it doesn’t make sense.. I can add an outlet that isn’t AFCI but can’t replace one...

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The whole six foot thing in art. 210 came about when our own member, Dennis, wrote a proposal that afci's should not be required when all that is being done is a service change. It said nothing about conductor length in his proposal, but when the code came out there it was. An unintended consequence was a conflict with 406.4.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The whole six foot thing in art. 210 came about when our own member, Dennis, wrote a proposal that afci's should not be required when all that is being done is a service change. It said nothing about conductor length in his proposal, but when the code came out there it was. An unintended consequence was a conflict with 406.4.
That’s what I mean. The misprint created confusion.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
What I find to be ridiculous is how is changing a receptacle a concern for a code which its main intention was to prevent a pierced or damaged conductor from becoming overheated within a wall or similar hidden spaces resulting in a possible fire. although I suppose if someone decided to plug in their old frayed corded heater or lamp then the person putting in a new device could be held accountable. besides what was that exception clause on non grounded receptacles, ohh, that's perfectly fine ... No offence to the code writers and enforcement authorities out there.

doc12

Thanks for the feedback on this. Oddly, many other towns have not enforced this. Rather they were concerned when extending the 6 feet i.e. adding additional outlets to the circuit.

svemike

406.4(D)(4) likely
(4) Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Where a recepta cle outlet is located in any areas specified in 210.12(A) or (B), a replacement receptacle at this outlet shall be one of the following: (1) A listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuitinterrupter receptacle (2) A receptacle protected by a listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit-interrupter type receptacle (3) A receptacle protected by a listed combination type arcfault circuit-interrupter type circuit breaker
Doesn't this apply to a replacement receptacle that is replaced because the owner wants USB charging in the receptacle? A lot of these sold to homeowners, that know nothing about AFCI requirements, and the Mfgrs literature does not mention it in their cautions and instructions.

Doesn't this apply to a replacement receptacle that is replaced because the owner wants USB charging in the receptacle? A lot of these sold to homeowners, that know nothing about AFCI requirements, and the Mfgrs literature does not mention it in their cautions and instructions.
I don't see anything in the wording about usb receptacles. Where are you getting that theory from?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you replace a receptacle with any new one it will require AFCI protection if it is in a location that requires AFCI protection. Augie has the code section in post #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.