AFCI required when replacing devices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulengr

If you replace a receptacle with any new one it will require AFCI protection if it is in a location that requires AFCI protection. Augie has the code section in post #2.

Isn’t that a replacement in kind? That’s the way the Code is written. You maintain everything as per the Code in force at the time of installation. That’s different from remodels or upgrades where you touch it, you own it, and current code applies.

Isn’t that a replacement in kind? That’s the way the Code is written. You maintain everything as per the Code in force at the time of installation. That’s different from remodels or upgrades where you touch it, you own it, and current code applies.

No, according to that section you need to upgrade to an AFCI recep (or put in a afci breaker). That is what is so obnoxious about it.

joebeadg

does anyone really do this? I mean if I got a call to replace a few outlets, and I started installing arcfault protection, I wouldn't really count on being paid, or ever called back

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Customer: "I want you to replace the receptacles in my house because I'm painting all the rooms and I want it to look nice."

Sure, that's going to be $2000 plus tax. "Forget it, the painter said he would do it."

Another stupid section that is unenforceable.

-Hal

shortcircuit2

So if you were to replace receptacles in a location that now requires GFCI protection, but the receptacles your replacing don't have GFCI, would you feel the same way? I mean you don't think you should have to do it?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I get to look forward to filling two panels with arc faults, the home owner was doing a major remodel without a permit (for two years) and her neighbors got tired of seeing a dumpster in her drive for that length of time and turned her in. Very high end subdivision on a lake. They are making an example of her, so I know they are going to enforce everything to the letter!

So if you were to replace receptacles in a location that now requires GFCI protection, but the receptacles your replacing don't have GFCI, would you feel the same way? I mean you don't think you should have to do it?

Ok its been crickets chirping in response to this, but yeah Ill admit it you make a good point, and my disdain for AFCI's probably makes me consider 406.4(d) more irrational that it actually is.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

If I had to replace all the receptacles in a house, a small percentage would have to be GFCI that might not be already. That's a far cry from the blanket requirement to make every receptacle AFCI protected.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.