AFCI rule in 210.12(B) for 2008 NEC

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

AFCI rule in 210.12(B) for 2008 NEC

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe tedesco

210.12(B)Dwelling Units.

All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sun rooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways , or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Look at the video here:

http://www.firemarshals.org/mission/residential/ignition_sources/electrical.asp

I am sure it will make you think about the issues associated with the subject of AFCI's

Last edited:

joe tedesco

Keep this open

Keep this open

George

This is not a duplicate thread, it gives the proposed new words to be considered for adoption at the NFPA Annual meeting, please give this post a chance, and let's see what others think instead of closing it so quickly.

I didn't see this text discussed in the other post. :wink:

wbalsam1

joe tedesco said:
210.12(B)Dwelling Units.

All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sun rooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways , or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Will the exceptions that are presently in the '05 be available, since the word "entire" - having to do with BC protection - was dropped?:-? :)

wbalsam1

I watched the film regarding afci's and was moved by all the professional organizations in support. I supported these for NYS at the Code Council. Very compelling evidence. I will vote in favor.... I tried to generate a conversation/get an answer regarding whether the exceptions that appear in the '05 code will also appear in the'08 code, since the term "entire" was removed....I do not have the 2008, someone must know....:)

joe tedesco

Two Exceptions

Two Exceptions

wbalsam1 said:
I watched the film regarding afci's and was moved by all the professional organizations in support. I supported these for NYS at the Code Council. Very compelling evidence. I will vote in favor.... I tried to generate a conversation/get an answer regarding whether the exceptions that appear in the '05 code will also appear in the'08 code, since the term "entire" was removed....I do not have the 2008, someone must know....:)

Look here:

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/ROP/70-A2007-ROC.pdf

There are two exceptions now.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One of the biggest problems I have with the AFCI rule is the fact that 85% of the dwelling unit fires that are said to be electrical in origin occur in dwelling units that are over 20 years old. I have no confidence that an AFCI that is installed today will still provide the required protection some 20 years from now. These devices are not fail safe and unless the homeowner actually pushes the test button (something that I think will be a rare occurance), no one will know that the AFCI protection is not functional.
Don

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
don_resqcapt19 said:
I have no confidence that an AFCI that is installed today will still provide the required protection some 20 years from now.
Don

Early GFI's continued to supply power after losing their protection. Do AFCI's shut down when they lose their protection?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Chris,
Early GFI's continued to supply power after losing their protection.
There is only one brand that claims the GFCI automatically shuts down the power when the electronics fail and the device can no longer provide GFCI protection. I am not convinced that they can actually do that. Unless you have to reset the GFCI after each power failure, there will be modes of failure that result in the loss of GFCI protection but let the device continues to provide power.
Do AFCI's shut down when they lose their protection?
No...they become standard breakers.
Don

Last edited:

wireman3736

joe tedesco said:
210.12(B)Dwelling Units.

Vermont already requires arc-faults in all livable rooms in a dwelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.