AFCI thread #4,347,291

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The sound of them being smashed with a sledge is pretty satisfying too.

Never tried, however I bet sparks fly off the sledgehammer face when they hit the rivets.

counterfeit afci Breakers? No thank you I prefer everything made in China to stay there. two words Chinese drywall

peter d

Quick update - this exact scenario repeated itself once again this past week, this time with a washer circuit in a house wired last summer. I changed the breaker and all was well. When I talked to the boss he said he has a stack of 15 Homeline DF breakers to be returned to the supplier. I told him he has 16 now. :rant::rant:

This crime has to stop.

Quick update - this exact scenario repeated itself once again this past week, this time with a washer circuit in a house wired last summer. I changed the breaker and all was well. When I talked to the boss he said he has a stack of 15 Homeline DF breakers to be returned to the supplier. I told him he has 16 now. :rant::rant:

This crime has to stop.

I did a house last fall. They just got tenants in there recently. I used some combination AFCI/GFCI receps because they allow those at the first outlet here (even without MC cable from panel to first outlet). New tenant had trouble with all three tripping. Changed them out today, the living room got a regular outlet instead, and the two small appliance ones I swapped out for regular GFCI's. They were Pass & seymour, dont use them. I havent had any trouble with homeline dual function breakers (yet).

peter d

I did a house last fall. They just got tenants in there recently. I used some combination AFCI/GFCI receps because they allow those at the first outlet here (even without MC cable from panel to first outlet). New tenant had trouble with all three tripping. Changed them out today, the living room got a regular outlet instead, and the two small appliance ones I swapped out for regular GFCI's. They were Pass & seymour, dont use them. I havent had any trouble with homeline dual function breakers (yet).

I wouldn't recommend using Homeline DF's. You are bound to have trouble with them sooner or later. They have cost us many hundreds, if not thousands of dollars in callbacks.

But I commend you for removing those fraudulent devices. These things are a pure scam. Absolute snake oil.

peter d

Ok good to know, I havent used them much, but just did a house that has a bunch in it. oops.

In the last several months I have done 3 call backs for Homeline DF's or AF's in brand new houses - one was brand new fridge, another was the Keurig in this thread, and now brand new washing machine. If an appliance is not compatible with an AFCI, then the AFCI needs to go, plain and simple.

MTW

One positive thing that can be done is lobby the state where you live to rescind the requirement.
It was done here in Michigan with the help of the builders association. Never had the requirement enforced here.
No verifiable proof that it works as advertised, and plenty of proof to the contrary.

MTW

peter d

One positive thing that can be done is lobby the state where you live to rescind the requirement.
It was done here in Michigan with the help of the builders association. Never had the requirement enforced here.
No verifiable proof that it works as advertised, and plenty of proof to the contrary.

MTW

Kudos to Michigan for that. :thumbsup: Unfortunately, my state is the home of the infamous Station Night club fire, so any rescinding of a device that is perceived to increase fire safety is a major taboo here. Our codes are built more on reactionary emotion than common sense.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Opinion noted and that's fine.
My point is that all of that has been previously aired, disputed acrimoniously, the thread closed, and a user banned.
Done and dusted. Dead in the water. Why resurrect it?

For the record, than ban did not have anything to do with an opinion on AFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.