AFCI truth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a contractor for almost 25 years and I have been told about 10 different interpretations by 10 different permitting jurisdictions. Can any one give me the definitive rules that apply to what receptacles in a residence must be on AFCI? And also please does every light need to be on an AFCI? Why does a 240 volt heater not have to be on the AFCI circuit but 120 volts do? I have heard everything. Please help.

iwire

Staff member
It has changed each code cycle so that is part of the problem.

I think CA is under the CEC which is based on the 2008 NEC. Is that correct?

San Francisco is a special place to work.

San Francisco is a special place to work.

It has changed each code cycle so that is part of the problem.

I think CA is under the CEC which is based on the 2008 NEC. Is that correct?

San Francisco has burnt down so many times that they have some of the strictest laws in the nation. They make their own rules. As long as we know what the rules are we just do what they want.

In this case as with many other times each of the inspectors has their own idea of what is right and what is wrong. They have their supervisors they have to answer to. I cannot tell you which book they are working under because they may take parts of the newest book and use those rules even though they are working of the older book.

I will ask my head electrical inspectors this question next week. I've asked before. I will get several answers and obviously someone is right and someone is wrong. I can't play that game with them. It's politics. I just really want a lesson on why AFCI and what the NEC is trying to accomplish so that I can make my own mind up how this applies to the safety of my clients.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Ambiguity

Ambiguity

I will ask my head electrical inspectors this question next week. I've asked before. I will get several answers

Those proficient enough to recognize properly cited authority realize agreeing on the variables, or the steps to interpret NEC code, is far less important that agreeing with the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), since the AHJ has no mandate to justify subjective interpretations with any further authority.
  • :lol:

Last edited:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
San Francisco has burnt down so many times that they have some of the strictest laws in the nation. They make their own rules. As long as we know what the rules are we just do what they want.

In this case as with many other times each of the inspectors has their own idea of what is right and what is wrong. They have their supervisors they have to answer to. I cannot tell you which book they are working under because they may take parts of the newest book and use those rules even though they are working of the older book.

I will ask my head electrical inspectors this question next week. I've asked before. I will get several answers and obviously someone is right and someone is wrong. I can't play that game with them. It's politics. I just really want a lesson on why AFCI and what the NEC is trying to accomplish so that I can make my own mind up how this applies to the safety of my clients.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you own a CEC? The AFCI requirements are the same in San Francisco as they are in the rest of the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.