afci

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: afci

personally, i would toss all the afcis and put in smoke detectors in all enclosed spaces if I was a cmp god.

probably actually do some good for the HO rather than for the afci makers.

renosteinke

Let's not get too literal here!

In the quest to standardise plug patterns and products, about forty years the folks at ANSI, NEMA, UL, and a slew of other trade groups decided to classify things into "nominal" categories, according to voltage. The categories chosen were 125, 250, and 600 volts.

Now, an individual item may be listed to a specific voltage....for example, there are light switched listed for both 125 and 277 volts. In any case, the voltage marked on the item determines some of the test specifics. Another "for example", a receptacle marked "125 volts" has been tested to +10% (137 volts) and -15% (108 volts).

I know this wasn't asked, but this answer also explains why you use a 600v disconnect for a 480 circuit.

physis

I just thought it seemed odd to see 125 v. with regard to supply voltage. That's all.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by nedard2004:
Our inspector does not require the lighting and/or smoke detectors to be AFCI protected in bedrooms.
You're describing the '99 requirements. Receptacles only, not all outlets; that comes with the '02.

Status
Not open for further replies.