AFCI's...I'm soooo scared!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

With my past Afci misery and current requirements for Afci usage I have taken a different approach to circuit layout. The end result is a bunch more circuits, more time, and more forethough, but...should a problem arise with afci tripping, troubleshooting should be a little easier, in theory anyway.

Receptacles are on circuits with receptacles only, lighting with lighting, less stuff per circuit, outdoor recptacles on their own circuit, things like that.

Also no Siemens made products, only Sq D QO.

If any of that will make a difference I really don't know. I hope I never have to find out.

frizbeedog

I have not taken the measures you have and have not experienced many problems.

I do use Sqaure D QO. For what it's worth.

I will say that Oregon has not adopted all the locations specified in 2008.

electricmanscott

chris kennedy said:
Why is this?

All problems I have had with afcis, new combo breakers and the older style have been with Siemens made products. Murray, GE, and Siemens. Never a problem with a Sq D made breaker.

In my own house I have a Siemens panel and an Sq D Homeline panel. Both have AFCI breakers only the Siemens has caused me grief. (Traced back to tripping when RF dimmer switches are used.)

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
ItsHot said:
Just as a reminder, Square D has had recalls on afcis also.:-?

It was because they wouldn't trip. Now who wouldn't want those? :) I don't have any problems with AFCI's. I use homeline & QO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe the sq. D arc faults had a major problem in Denver, Colorado where the power quality was funky. Something about the sine wave being a little square.

quogueelectric

electricmanscott said:
With my past Afci misery and current requirements for Afci usage I have taken a different approach to circuit layout. The end result is a bunch more circuits, more time, and more forethough, but...should a problem arise with afci tripping, troubleshooting should be a little easier, in theory anyway.

Receptacles are on circuits with receptacles only, lighting with lighting, less stuff per circuit, outdoor recptacles on their own circuit, things like that.

Also no Siemens made products, only Sq D QO.

If any of that will make a difference I really don't know. I hope I never have to find out.
You just jinxed yourself so bad I am LMAO!

Riograndeelectric

OK so now there is nussince tripping on Square D breakers. Had to replace a batch of the new AFCIS for the 2nd time on Square D with in 1 month.

it is my understanding that Square D is going to be or is recalling all of the new AFCI breakers. there is a new problem where the Breakers will start tripping after 6 days of being powerd up.

got to love the new technology

electricmanscott

Riograndeelectric said:
OK so now there is nussince tripping on Square D breakers. Had to replace a batch of the new AFCIS for the 2nd time on Square D with in 1 month.

it is my understanding that Square D is going to be or is recalling all of the new AFCI breakers. there is a new problem where the Breakers will start tripping after 6 days of being powerd up.

got to love the new technology

You can't just throw this out there with no info....

Status
Not open for further replies.