After market interlock kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohms law

Does anyone see any issues with AHJ by using an after market interlock kit that states it is "Classified to UL67 with respect to installation and mechanical operation only."
MET listing E113887.

The panel I have is to old and the manufacturer says they don't make anything for that panel inreguard to a interlock kit. Any thoughts? Trying to save customer money.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ohms law

Geninterlock.com is where I looked. It's for a Siemens G4040MB1200CU. I wanted to make sure. I have had inspectors say it has to be listed for the equipment, not for this but other jobs.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO manufacturers have found clever wording to make it sound like it's actually listed for a panel when it actually isn't.

Ohms law

So what is the answer. Anyone familiar with ul 67 how its worded? Does it make it code compliant to install? I cant just install a L70 lug as a equipment ground connection as it's not listed for the panel.

With that said my personal Square D 54 space panel does not list the part for the interlock kit but square D makes one. My city is ridiculously stricked and are current with UL listing and all that stuff. I dont get to go the seminara or get the information the city inspectors do.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If the panel is old, do you still feel you are doing the customer a favor by saving it, rather than just replacing it with a modern equivalent capable of accepting an interlock kit?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is mechanical in nature. In most cases it is pretty sumple to get ul to list or classify such a device as being addable. I don't think it has to be listed for the specific panelboard but rather for the breaker style and bus.

Ohms law

It is very similar to my square D attachment, you get a template and instructions to drill and install shoulder bolts that allow the metal to slide up and down.

Ohms law

It's not old as obsolete or unsafe but just the physical placement of the main breaker is what makes it in compatable with Siemens current products.

It would take me 20 mins to mount this attachment. Or o add a sub panel and seperate breakers or I change out entire existing panel. The attachment is alot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.