Aftermarket replacement batteries for DeWalt?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithBuilt

c2500
Thats why I just buy new, 2 packs or 3 as I posted earlier. I did all the research called some local places, wasted too much time on it and then just bought new.

The local places I'm sure were honest, but their price was within 5$ of a new battery. Some of my battery cases were showing some wear and occasionally fell out of the drill, not good when working on a ladder.

Bite the bullet and spend the rest of your research time getting better jobs that will easily pay for new tools.

c2500

SmithBuilt said:
Bite the bullet and spend the rest of your research time getting better jobs that will easily pay for new tools.

Well, it looks like I will bite the bullet and just buy the Dewalts. However, I don't feel the research was in vain. I have learned alot about batteries, found a few new websites to keep an eye on for tools. As for getting jobs, I am booked till December so I am not researching that real hard right now:grin:

c2500

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
In Oct 2007, after doing some research, this ebay seller refurbished two of my makita's NiMh. http://myworld.ebay.com/john_hoffa

You can see his volume is steady and feedback perfect. My refurbished & upgraded NiMh cells lasts a bit longer than the originals. Chargering heat or direct sun is what damages these cells, so I take extra care to either charge them in a breeze or wait till I get home to the cold concrete floor in the garage.

This seller spent lots of time with me and the replacement cell mfg. answering my questions and initial inquisition below: Ultimately I was informed solder/welds are preferred during refurbish, and after dropping batteries a few times they are holding up well.

These were my questions at the time.

1) Will my battery w/LED be a problem? Will the light still work after you change out the cells?

2) Will your replacement cells meet my output specs? Makita tool rep claims 20-30 Amps ~360 watts, during impact mode. ..

This seller also recomends boosting battery voltage on rebuilts, within tool specs, for longer life. I agreed, and after the new cells arrived and were charged by me, the voltage was boosted about 10% higher. The tool does seem to operate a bit cooler.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ramsy said:
This seller also recomends boosting battery voltage on rebuilts, within tool specs, for longer life. I agreed, and after the new cells arrived and were charged by me, the voltage was boosted about 10% higher.
How is that accomplished? Adding an extra cell? Where? (I picture a cell tethered on an umbilical wire)

Almost all rechargeable batteries are 1.2v per cell. How does your charger know to up the output voltage?

c2500

SmithBuilt said:
Booked til december! That's great, my customers are too impatent to wait that long. Or is this a couple of large jobs.

Finishing a house to sell right now. Also wiring another large house and consulting with the owner (he is building as owner/builder). Have a remodel partially done on another that I have to get finished. Then have another house sitting waiting to be rewired, replumbed, etc. then sold. Then a kitchen remodel. Plus plenty of light commerical work when I have time (repairing 20 years worth of stupidity and hacking at a 400,000 square foot warehouse facility my family owns). I am a licensed residential builder as well as residential electrician and residential plumber (keeeps me from having to sub work out if I don't want too). So yeah, I can't complain...and if I did no one would listen anyway. :grin:

c2500

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
LarryFine said:
Almost all rechargeable batteries are 1.2v per cell. How does your charger know to up the output voltage?

I did nothing but put the refurbished batteries in my charger. When done I mettered the terminals with a DVM, and confirmed the slighty higher voltage. That was about 6 months ago, I should meter them again.

OK, one 12 volt battery reads 13 vdc, the other 13.6 vdc. The charger works with 9.6 / 12 / 14.4 batteries. I have not checked the voltage while charging, so don't know what the charger is doing.

I remember the seller told me somthing about burn in voltage. Maybe this is done with a special charger, or maybe he just pawned off a lot of over-voltaged cells and made up a good story? Either way I'm satisfied with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.