Air conditioner Q

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
New condensing unit and A/C coil in the furnace. The furnace is up in an attic.
At the furnace, the the HVAC tech said he needs an outlet mounted for a pump. I assume this is for a condensation pump. Can the power for this outlet be wired from the furnace circuit. Does the outlet need to be a GFCI does the circuit now need to be AFCI?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
More often I see it connected to the 210,63 required receptacle or 210.70 lighting circuit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
More often I see it connected to the 210,63 required receptacle or 210.70 lighting circuit.
Same here. Code requires them to be there, so you'll have at least one 120v circuit.

One option is to feed everything from a small sub-panel instead of a separate disconnect.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You probably do not want the condensate pump on a GFCI circuit unless there is something else on the circuit to alert you if it trips. Not as bad as losing refrigerator, but could be a mess in semi-finished basement.

GSHeating1

New User
Occupation
Electrical services , Air Duct Cleaning, HVAC maintenance, Furnace Repair, AC Repair, and Heat Pump Repair
AFCI security is at present needed for every one of the 15 and 20 amp branch circuits giving capacity to outlets* in private family rooms, lounge areas, parlors, parlors, libraries, lairs, rooms, sunrooms, amusement rooms, storerooms, foyers, and comparative rooms or regions.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Attic receptacles do not require GFCI protection. There was a proposal made several code cycles ago to require it but it was rejected.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
He says it’s in the attic. Which makes me question if the load is really a condensate pump. Everything should be downhill from the unit!
I would agree, but I’ve seen some units where they use a pump no matter what, I assume because they never want to leave anything in a collection reservoir in order to avoid mold growth.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would agree, but I’ve seen some units where they use a pump no matter what, I assume because they never want to leave anything in a collection reservoir in order to avoid mold growth.
Or to provide positive pressure so mold cannot block the gravity flow tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.