air conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow

Hi guys . I need some help with A/C unit ,I work on traffic lights mostly so i dont have much experiance doing residential work . i'm installing a 240volt unit 24000 B>T>U>.I'm going to run a 12/2 wire size with a 20amp duoble pole breaker. I want to run it by you guys and make sure its correct.Thanks for your help.

bphgravity

Re: air conditioner

The BTU value doesn't provide very much information on the size of the A/C unit. There is a conversion formula but it will most likely not be that accurate. There should be a minimal circuit ampacity and maximum overcurrent device permitted on the nameplate of the unit.

I think a 24,000 BTU unit is going to be about 7,000 to 10,000 Watts. Even on the low side, it looks like you are probably undersizing the capacity of you circuit.

Check the nameplate or write back with the KVA/KW rating. :)

jimwalker

I would suggest a min of #10
this allows for voltage drop and covers your butt
in the event it needs more.Now if your doing track homes and are sure of supply needed then to save $$$$$$$$$$ go for #12, but if this is just 1 job play it safe

caosesvida

If you are talking about a window unit, the plug will help you decide along with the information on the unit. It it is a split system, min cir ampacity is what you are looking for. Running a #10 is not a bad idea, and use a fused disconnect with the proper size fuse that is listed on the nameplate. All the info you need is on there, as long as you know what min. cir. amp. means, and min fuse and max fuse/hvac cb

Status
Not open for further replies.