Air terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR. S

When a house has a lightning protection system installed with air terminals,
Is this actually designed to dissipate the negitave charge to the ground, so
the house isn't such a big target, or is it designed to take the strike to a least path of resistance to ground, or both? Also, I'm sure some of these systems did get hit by lightning, how does it help our internal wiring to the house, when we have to bond onto it (250.106)

bphgravity

Air terminals serve as strike termination devices for the lightning attachment process. A lightning protection system in no way reduces the chance or eliminates the chance of a lightning strike from occuring.

By bonding the LPS to the premise wiring grounding electrode system, ground potential rise and flash over potential is reduced.

I suggest you obtain a copy of the NFPA 780 and read some of the explanatory material and principles of lightning protection in the annexes of the standard.

bphgravity

THe product in that link is a scam. There is no evidence that ESE devices, DAS devices, or ANY other non-conventional systems provide "enhanced" protevction against lightning strikes. These systems are not recognized by the NFPA 780 and cannot be UL Master Labeled.

coulter

Interesting comments.

From the website:
Q. How does NFPA-780 apply?
A. DAS? technology is a form of ?charge transfer system? rather than a strike collection system. Since NFPA-780 deals only with strike collection, it is not applicable to DAS.
LEC does however provide Spline Ball Terminal (SBT) components as part of UL Master label, NFPA-780 systems.

I?m seeing these (spine ball terminals) installed in newer small substations (~20MVA).

carl

ron

NFPA 780 is titled "Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems".
In my opinion, if it is not in NFPA 780, then it does not qualify as lighting protection, as my liability coverage insurer will stick up for me if I follow national standards, whereas if I follow a manufacturer instead, the insurance company will send me to swim upstream by myself.

coulter

Ron -
I'd say you are absolutely correct.

Bryan
From the website:(Spine Ball Sheet)
UL LISTED DISSIPATING AIR TERMINAL
? Hybrid dissipation/collection technology.
? Prevents most strikes.
? Collects all strikes not prevented.
? Mounts in regular air terminal hardware.
? Interchangeable with standard air terminals.
? Usable in any NFPA-780 or UL-96A system.

The attached picture is the UL bug from this page.

Questions:
1. Are they lying about this spine ball being a "UL listed dissipating air terminal"?

2. Are they lying about this spine ball being useable in any NFPA or UL-96A System?

3. Are they lying about any prevention/charge dissipation abilities?

I don't have a dog in this hunt. As I said, I'm just starting to see the spine balls in substations.

carl

bphgravity

coulter said:
Questions:
1. Are they lying about this spine ball being a "UL listed dissipating air terminal"?

2. Are they lying about this spine ball being useable in any NFPA or UL-96A System?

3. Are they lying about any prevention/charge dissipation abilities?
carl

1. Yes. There is no such thing a "listed dissipating air terminal". The product is listed as an "air terminal" only.

2. No. It's just another air terminal as far as the codes and standards are concerned.

3. Yes. Most certainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.